on 5 August 2016
Zany, fast-moving, full of great characters and hilariously funny: this book is a joy. Various characters are chasing around London and each other, in pursuit of some stolen government documents, which would prove incendiary if released into the public domain. Jonathan Fairfax is the timid, indecisive hero who somehow manages to save the day, without even realising it. The author's sparkling wit suffuses the action and ensures that there are plenty of 'laugh out loud' moments. A recommended read if you want cheering up, to be taken out of yourself or just to have a jolly good belly-laugh.
on 26 August 2017
My husband asked what was making me snort with laughter at frequent intervals while I was reading this and all I could explain was that the book was about a man who lived in London and found it hard to make friends. On the face of it, this doesn't sound that promising, but I love the slow, farcical humour that comes from misunderstandings and unlikely coincidences.
It reminded me a lot of Douglas Adams (and reading later I see the author is a fan) - albeit a rougher-round-the-edges version.

Buy it! Please!
I am in no way related to the author - my reasons are entirely selfish: I want to read more books like this one!
on 16 March 2017
Just finished reading Perpetual Astonishment and loved it. Funny, cringy in places, warm, awkward and special (in a good way). Jonathan is a character that I think could result warrant a follow on book, lots of potential.

I'm a bit of a bugger for predicting story plots but couldn't and more importantly didn't want to with this book, I wanted to see where the author went and it was good. It's been a while since I've really enjoyed a new authors book. Good, self conscious but amusing blurb at the back too 😁
on 25 June 2017
There's a lot of interplay between the characters, it's very funny, heartwarming in a way, and a bit crazy. Great character development, you'd like to meet each of them in real life. Thoroughly enjoyed the book, I hope there will be a sequel.
on 10 April 2017
Very un-put-downable. The story moves along at a great pace. I agree with some reviews that say it's very Douglas Adam-ish particularly the author's style of phrasing and unexpected metaphors. I think there's a bit of Jonathon's indecisiveness in many of us. Might have given 5 stars if I could have pronounced Mangiafuoco.
on 25 May 2017
I love this book! really made me chuckle all the way through. Would be a great holiday read. I hope someone makes it into a film, I think it would works really well. Looking forward to reading the sequel!
on 6 May 2015
This book was funny but it also told a good story. The characters were well drawn and the story hung together. Jonathan Fairfax is a bumbler but I really liked him. I was quite pleased that he managed to make friends in London and although Lance seems superficial he is an interesting friend. Give this a try if you are looking for an amusing, interesting read.
on 23 May 2017
A thoroughly enjoyable read with an unlikely hero.Lots of comical scenarios throughout and an abundance of larger than life characters.What more can one ask for
on 4 March 2017
I can only hope that Christopher Shevlin has more books in him. The pace of a thriller with the characters and dialogue of a better than normal sketch show. Absolutely excellent.
on 1 March 2017
I liked the story and the characters. Had no idea what was going to happen next. Would recommend it for it's humour and an unusual story line.