Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 3 May 2016
I was looking for a guide to the Burren's wild flowers when I first picked up this book. I was immediately struck with a nostalgia for the West coast holidays of my childhood. The Atlantic landscape is photographed with descriptive objectivity, a realism that promotes the raw magic and natural majesty rather than invent a contrived artifice found in coffee table books. The text is presented in a very navigable punctuated manner, directions to places of interest are clear and their descriptions read easy. It appears to be well researched, brimming with local lore that could have only been garnered from 1st hand experience or conversations in fishing tackle shops, with people who know the areas empirically. I shared the book with my wife and we're now planning a trip in August. I can already feel the raw magic of my youth returning as the excitement builds, I can't believe just how much of the Atlantic coast there is that I have yet to visit.
on 29 April 2016
Received my copy of Exploring Ireland's Wild Atlantic Way & I haven't put it down since it arrived. Makes me want to hop in the car & go exploring. Living on the Cork coast and a frequent visitor to West Cork & Kerry I thought I knew the region pretty well. But now I realise that I only know the obvious bits - this book tells you about the hidden bits, on the paths less travelled, but oh so worth the extra time or extra mile. The detailed practical information is what sets this book apart, as well as it's evocative imagery. The format is user friendly - whether in a car, or cycling or walking. Big enough to display the photographs properly, but also compact enough to stick in a backpack for a days exploration. I plan on making this my favourite summer read.
on 31 July 2016
Initially I was slightly surprised that the book was not bigger, but in some ways this is a benefit as it is more portable. However any doubts disappeared as soon as I looked inside. Beautifully illustrated, just wonderful photos. Highly recommended.
on 26 June 2016
Great book. Used this recently to plan a trip along the Donegal coast, really helped us, found some beautiful beeches that we never would have gotten to without, looking forward to using it again along some more sections of the coast, and I have definitely been motivated to do some more exploring by some of the great photography throughout. A great resource for anyone visiting the west coast, whether Irish (like myself) or coming from further a field.
on 5 May 2016
This seemed like the most recent publication for the Wild Atlantic Way. I run a B&B on Achill Island & guests love to borrow books about the area or areas they are thinking about going to. Even if you think you know a stretch of it, you will learn something new from this book that you weren't aware of.
It's definitely a book you'd like to have in your bag as you journey along the WAW. It's a good size, not too big, not too small & has all the info you need about activities & attractions in each area along the way.
The photographs are really fantastic. Ireland looks stunning! It makes you want to hit the road immediately & explore the Wild West. Buy it & do it.
on 13 August 2016
I have travelled much of the roads that have made up the Wild Atlantic Way over the years and long before the 2014 launnch of the Wild Atlantic Way.

This book has detailed much that illustrates places I have failed or cchose to ignore.

So in early October I shal return to County Clare and travel North to Galway, Mayo, Sligl and Donegal? amd, with the detail in this book, retrace my previous wanderings. Thos ime not ignoring parts not felt worth the effort. I will stay as long as in necessary.

I have already stiuck post it notes in this book and on the very detailed Road Atlam I bought.

I have already bought more memory cards for my camera and a heavy duty tripod. The ferry tickets are bought!
on 22 April 2016
I knew, this book will be great about photos and inspirations. And it is so. However I can view hundreds of photos by Google. Photos are not enough for me to buy a book and this is where this book is shining: a tones of priceless informations for active people. Where to rent a kayak or guided tour, camp, snoorking, cycling or walking. Served with handy gps coordinates, website links so you can easily plan ahead your weekend and preload your POIs or arrange hiring your "thing". There are nice clean road maps giving you a clue about whereabouts. Who's this book for? Every outdoor enthusiast who lives in Ireland, everyone who is planning a visit for at least week and don't want to follow coached hordes of tourists between Kerry Ring, Cliffs of Mohair and Giants Causeway ...in two days. lol
Get a book, rent a car, fly over for one or two weeks and treat yourself with best of Outdorish Ireland. You won't regret.
on 30 April 2016
The west coast of Ireland deserves to be savoured and this is the book to help you do it. This is a book for the traveller who doesn't want to just rush through the scenery ticking off the place names. This is a book for those who want to properly immerse themselves in the stunning outdoors of the west coast, those who want to end up windswept and salty, saddle-sore and blistered. Landing pleasantly dazed at the end of the day in some little cubby in some little pub eating the finest chowder you've ever tried, or cooking dinner outside a tent on an isolated sandy beach watching the sun set into the Atlantic.
on 7 May 2016
I don't think a guidebook gets any better than this. Lovely photos (make you want to go to every place photographed) and lots of really good tips. Having travelled on the west coast of Ireland a lot, I agreed with most of the information about the places I knew (there are a few hidden gems in there), and I now looking forward to exploring the lesser known places I haven't been to. All we need now is the weather!
One could argue that in this day and age you don't need a guidebook, but I for one would much prefer to have my head buried in this lovely book, than swiping through an I-phone.
on 29 November 2016
I have just completed a 2300km cycle around the WAW in 28 days and my bible was Exploring Ireland's WAW ,which Ican say I how intimately and backwards. This is because my cycle started in Donegal and finished in Kinsale,Nth-Sth,the book is written Sth-Nth.
It is a most informative,educationally,researched book that is so easy to follow and it exposed me to all the wonderful parts of this great route,written with love and understanding for the route. The presentation of information backed up with excellent,high quality photos to give you a taste of what was to come,gives you encouragement to climb that hill knowing on reaching the peak there is something stunning awaiting you.
If you are Irish or intend to explore this route it is a must have. I worked through every village,town mentioned working out an itinerary,km by km,which was as precise as the book is. If there are rewards for travel books this should win it hands down. I enjoyed every minute that I had to use this book and that includes the last 28 days every day. Ted Williams