TOP 100 REVIEWERon 12 September 2013
There are many guides to films on the market. Most are very good. This is excellent. I was a Halliwell fan, still am, but this is better. The reviews are more detailed and informative. The rating system is reliable. More to the point it is an encyclopaedic film companion. It includes 2013 films on release at the time of writing ('We're the Miller's' for instance). This is not just an index of every film you want to refer to alphabetically arranged, it also includes lists of actors, directors, alternate titles, awards and an appendix of 4 & 5 Star films for the afficianados, running times and DVD/Blue Ray availability. In short, a 1664 page compendium of factual information on every film you are likely to encounter. If not there are specialist sources available. Well done Radio Times. Well up to standard and highly recommendable to anyone interested in the massive array of films on television and related media, with concise summaries, comments and ratings. Brilliant, especially at Amazon price. Pick up and dip into it as it won't gather dust.
As ever, a real treat for those interested in films. A chance to wallow amongst over 1600 pages crammed with reviews, complete with details about thousands of people connected with them. Everything is as up to date as a book can be, including deaths that occurred shortly before publication.

The main emphasis is on facts (compilers no doubt keen to hear of any mistakes, so they may be corrected). Inevitably readers are unlikely to agree with all the views expressed. Opinions are just that, the world a dull place if everybody thought the same. Films often inspire disagreement amongst critics, friends, members of a family. Reactions can also dramatically change over the years, a film's true worth only later recognized. Hindsight pinpoints the trendsetters, they here clearly labelled. If the number of stars awarded differs from what one would have given, those so inclined may easily add or subtract, personalizing their copy. (Careful though, for the paper is thin.)

Strongminded are users who can quickly tear themselves away! So often an item is checked out, only for others to catch the eye - much time thereby most agreeably spent. Already I have enjoyed hours of contented browsing, the book's heaviness and small print no deterrent. Occasionally an apparent omission puzzles, I perhaps one of several slow to realize why "Les Miserables" is not under "L".

Welcome here a most generous present for film loving relatives and friends, an extra copy of course ordered for personal use.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 9 November 2013
I live in an atmosphere of
Thats Wotsisface who was in that thing
No it aint; she was....and in the sequel
No, its him....we watched three weeks ago.
No. You are thinking of...
And it goes on like this all the time till we got this book. You have an answer before the computer has had time to warm up for the person actually willing to expend effort they could have spent having a row.
on 25 December 2013
I usually by the Time Out Film Guide every couple of years but find so many films missing and I always got the feeling that they deliberately omitted certain films. Also I got bored with certain critics who tend to talk about anything but the the film they're suppose to be reviewing. The present Time Out reviewers are even worse. I've given the Radio Times five stars for its layout it keeps its star grading unlike Time Out but the reviews are informative and intelligent. Most of the films I'm interested in are included, it would be impossible to have every film in the guide and obscure films can be difficult see, some never reaching these shores. I will now buy The Radio Times film guide every couple of years I find it helpful when seeking certain films on DVD. I can now make a better informative decision on films I want to purchase that I've never seen. I use Radio Times, Time Out and Amazon reviews, although nothing is 100% it stops me buying to many duds. One thing though I did have a Second Edition of Halliwells and found the reviews so bad and the ratings poor, I could not use it even as a basic guide.
on 22 December 2013
For the past couple of years, I have purchased the RT Guide To Films, it only costs £13 (RRP £25) on Amazon, it is an extensive & very informative book, it gives A-Z of films, list of Actors, Directors, Alternative Titles, Awards & 4-5 Star Films & it covers TV movies as well like Cagney & Lacey, but the only reason I did not give the book 5 stars was because it doesn't give reviews only previews for some films that have been released within the past couple of months i.e. Captain Phillips & Prisoners, but it does give a review for Elysium or We Are What We Are which were released around the same time.

Personally, I think the RT Guide To Films should be released in January so it can cover films of the previous year more extensively, apart from that, this is still the best movie guide on the market!!!
on 26 December 2013
I must admit it was the picture of Clint Eastwood on the cover of the book that caught my eye but boy was I glad that I ordered this book, ever since I have had it I have bored the pants of any guests that come round with fascinating trivia from any film that has ever been made, I never knew there where so many films out there, the is only 1 downside with this book and that is that the films sound so fascinating that I have the need to watch every one that I can, as you can see that is proving to be a problem with work as I just don't have the time anymore to go to work but even with the threat of being sacked all I can say is 'bring it on' if it means I can watch more films!!! And I owe it all to Clint Eastwood !!
on 7 January 2014
My mother had this a few years ago from someone as a Christmas present, so I decided to buy her the 2014 version so that she had the most up to date films. She gets the Radio Times every week as well, so may have already read some of the reviews, I suppose. I know she likes to look up films to see what is worth watching on TV or which DVDs she should borrow from the library. So this was a successful present.
on 27 October 2013
In the absence of new Halliwell guides, this has good claim to be as good as one can get. It is perhaps unfortunate, though presumably thought necessary, to restrict the number of pages, which invariably means that as reviews of new films are added, a similar number of old ones have to be taken out. Presumably it is not thought marketable to produce it in two volumes.
on 12 September 2013
I find this volume really helpful. Radio Times provides such a large range of films from the unknown to the blockbuster dating back to the dawn of cinema. Usually their reviewers provide a balanced reliable critique of films. I found (in previous volumes) the list of directors and actors indispensable when I wrote my own film guide Children in Films, and this new edition has satisfactorily updated to 2013.
There is a variety of film guides I use: Time Out, Halliwells, Virgin, and Variety, but none of them are as thorough as Radio Times.
on 24 February 2014
This is a supremely dense and informative film guide, and is the ideal companion for any avid film fan, the films are in alphabetical order and the reviews are short, concise and to the point with a 1 to 5 star rating which is great to influence you to see the films or not!!