• NOD
  • Customer reviews

on 8 April 2017
I grabbed this book having read the blurb and because the premise was interesting.

I was a little apprehensive to read it because i'd spotted a review (post-purchase) which suggested that the book was literary and, rightly or wrongly, I associate literary with complex themes and wordplay etc which distract from the narrative. I've recently read Station Eleven and didn't want to read something similar in another form.

However, my concerns were unfounded. Yes, the author has created a character obsessed with words, but it doesn't feel lofty and it didn't fly over my head (another concern with literary fiction), instead it was weaved carefully into the narrative.

In terms of the narrative. I enjoyed the way the story worked by days with a sneak peak at day 18 early on to set where it was going. I thought the idea of people slowly going mad and how they went mad was done really well.

I liked the protagonists thoughts on the facade of daily life and relationships was done well and how quickly these breakdown and reform in the story without sleep.

I also liked some of the quirky similes e.g. 'For hours after that, I was as fragile as the shell of a battery egg.'

I should also mention that the horror element is almost exclusively psychological. To be honest, I anticipated something more physical, but I was pleasantly surpised by what we got.

One issue I had with the story was the ending, which felt a little flat.

Overall, i'd definitely recommend it.
VINE VOICEon 10 April 2017
I think this is the sort of book where a second read can quite easily bring more to your enjoyment of it. The majority of the world can no longer sleep. You can take this down the path of working out why, and trying to fix it; or you can take that as the way things will be, and prepare for the end. There are so many different ways this story could be told - the same story could be rewritten in the voice of Charles or Tanya, and I'd happily read it.

As it is, we follow Paul. Paul is a sleeper: someone who can still sleep, in a world where most can not. From here, we get all the events unfolding from his perspective, how the world collapses, and people drift into madness.

But are we seeing a world crumbling, or are we opening our eyes to what already exists around us - take Charles for example, as a homeless man ignored by most, repulsed by others. Charles can no longer sleep, but did he sleep so soundly before the event?

A book of words, and certainly one I would recommend taking the time to take in.
on 23 October 2016
Not sure what book some other reviews read but massively disappointed, the premise sounded great but it felt like it was written by someone as sleep deprived as some of the characters. No real plot, certainly no resolution or any real hint at what caused the phenomenon, just a lot of obscure words thrown in for no real reason, only finished it as I was on a flight and had nothing else to do.
on 22 June 2017
Erm I was pulled in by the premise and the premise of the book is good its what runs through this book but all else around it is just men. Lead character you don't like, to many drawn out speils to just prove the writer is well read. A baddie who has no aspect of fear about him and a supporting cast who don't get enough filling out. Loads better books in this genre soz nod.
on 17 October 2016
An interesting concept let down by narcissistic, self-absorbed and pretentious writing. The book is rendered boring with the writer's insistence on letting you know how well-read and how up with pop-culture he is, made even more arrogant by using a character with exactly that stereotype as an antagonist. The main character is exceptionally unlikable, made more so by the distinct sexism; the only female character being reduced solely to a sex object.
As i say, the concept is interesting enough, and some elements are unique enough to warrant more stars, but the writing is often rambling and every paragraph reads like a vomit thesaurus.
on 1 April 2017
Nod has to be up there with the strangest books I've ever read. The concept of the story is a great one, what happens to the world, and everyone in it, if no one can sleep? How long until everything decends into madness?
Couldn't put the book down as I wanted to get to the end of the story, find out what happened to the main characters. Barnes asks some interesting questions about the baser aspects of the human mind and what we'd decend into when the active parts of the brain start shutting down.
A recommended read, as can almost guarantee it's something completely new. Some of the writing is quite graphic and intense, however this works well as it suits the tone of the story
on 3 August 2017
I am blown away with how beautiful this book is despite it's meaning and happenings. This was our chosen book of the month for our Book Club and I honestly think I have found a new favourite.
Every sentence was poetry, a string of hypnotism I couldn't stop chasing. I loved that it was terrifyingly real, but that you also feel sadness for those that cannot sleep: a strange sort of pity.
Amazing, gripping and life appreciating read that I would recommend strongly and willingly!
on 8 January 2015
What a joy this book is to read. It has entered the very short list of my favourite books which is strange, given that I am far from being a fan of zombie stories.
But then, this is not about zombies - the living dead are not yet dead at all but still very much alive. They simply cannot sleep and so turn their lost dreams into reality.
Well written and very humanly engaging, go see us all for yourselves through the eyes of one of the very few people still able to indulge in that much misunderstood gift, sleep. Read the book. I don't think you will be disappointed.
on 17 April 2016
Dreadful. Poorly written plot wise, although the writer likes to drop in complex language wherever possible
on 18 May 2017
Weird, twisted and thought provoking. A great apocalyptic novel made even more poignant by the death of the author from illness shortly after publication. "I was diagnosed with a cancer with a death rate of 99%. I also just published a novel. And the two have become eerily similar."