Customer reviews

on 23 June 2017
Ok, interesting story line but a bit too shallow for my taste. Need more detail.
on 2 October 2013
The first book in this trilogy impels you to read this wonderful second instalment which in turn means you cannot wait to get onto the third a concluding part. Brilliantly paced and totally encapsulating. Can't recommend this one too highly.
on 26 July 2017
Good read by local authoress
on 1 August 2017
Enjoyed reading all 3 first time I've read any of Shiela Quigley books . Will be reading more them in the future
on 19 February 2012
Having read all of Sheila Quigley's books (based on the North East) this book (Nowhere Man) and the book before (Thorn in My Side) are based around Holy Island are a totally gripping read. Once you pick it up.... you dont want to put it down! I would urge any reader to buy and read Thorn in my Side first followed on by Nowhere Man to get the full effect. I can't wait to read the next book continuing the story of Mike Yorke.
on 27 June 2012
Nowhere Man is the seventh novel from Sheila Quigley,the Grande Dame of BRIT GRIT, who kicked off a fast-paced thriller series last year with Thorn In My Side, which introduced us to to DI Mike Yorke.

Yorke, a decent Northern copper, had returned home to Holy Island, after living in London, for a bit of peace and quiet.

No luck there, though. Mike Yorke, along with his Aunt May and the psychic street-waif Smiler, were quickly embroiled in a bizarre murder case that involved flogged corpses, missing kids, a strange cult and a sinister group seemed to control the world.

With Nowhere Man, Quigley kicks off the story pretty much where Thorn In My Side ended, with Aunt May in a coma and the cult Leader out for revenge.

And the story continues at a breathless pace, giving us plenty of strange twists and turns along the way, to reach a climax that really does leave you wanting more.

In Nowhere Man we find out a lot more about Mike Yorke's and Smiler's past and Aunt May's amazing secret life.

Nowhere Man by Sheila Quigley is a high-octane page turner and is cracking fun. This series is very much 'high concept ', as they say in Hollywood, and does require a slight suspension of belief, but is also full of the down-to-earth characters, gritty realism and humour that we've come to expect from Sheila Quigley.
Nowhere Man and the book before (Thorn in My Side) are based around Holy Island. Shelia Quigley has done it again, wrote a book that kept me hooked into the last page. Full of characters from the Thorn in my side, including Smiler and Aunt May we learn more about them, and their past. The concept of nowhere man has been well thought about by Shelia Quigley, and it does make you question conspiracy theories. All in all I found Nowhere Man excelled Thorn in my side, full of twist and turns, I managed to read this book in a couple of sessions. A great crime thriller with plenty to keep the reader engrossed until the last page. Yes there are a couple of mistakes, but in my opinion this in no way denotes from a original "edge of your seat" book. Like others have said I would recommend you read thorn in my side first. This book sets the scene for the 3rd instalment, and I will certainly be waiting in anticipation for it.
on 9 December 2011
After reading Thorn In My Side, i couldnt wait for the Nowhere Man, you get to know and love the characters in Thorn in my Side, so you should read that first, it leaves you hanging on so u cant wait to read the Nowhere Man, I absolutely love this new series by Sheila Quigley, it's exciting, spine tingling and u really cant put it down, dying to read the third one, I am a huge fan of sheils's seahill books and was dubious about reading this new series but i can honestly say that i actually love the Mike Yorke books even more than the seahills if thats possible, i would highly recommend everyone to read this new series, Sheila has excelled herself
on 14 December 2011
Brilliant. nowhere man is another great story in the ongoing tales from wonderful Holy Island.
I couldn't put the book down and the only downside is having to wait so long for the next book to come along.
I live in Sheilas' part of the world and I love the familiarity I feel when reading her books, This story really makes you think and I find myself with the story still in my head even weeks after I've finished reading it.
I especially love the short story at the back of Nowhere Man going back to her previous characters just to let you know there still around. Fantastic thoroughly recommend it.
on 3 January 2012
Took me 6 hrs to read and refilled the bath 3 times at least! What a shame that the person who found so many mistakes infuriating that she could,nt rise above them to enjoy the story! When I learned that Sheila had started on a whole new story line away from The Seahills Sagas I was,I must admit disappointed, then I read Thorn in my side, Wow that had me hooked, could,nt wait for the next book again, and now she is leading us on to quite a few more books I hope. I was born and brought up in Houghton-le-Spring, attended St Michaels Church and a family member was "in" on the excavations that took place a couple of years ago,so for me to know that although her books are fictional, they are in some places factual. I left Houghton many, many years ago but Sheila,s books as well as being terrific,are for me nostalgic too.Ironicaly I was in Norwich last week, walking by Timber Hill, Spooky or what!!!!! I am sure one day Sheilas books will be either on TV or The bigger screen and well deserved too.