on 6 April 2017
Fantastic. Though there are a few books about Peter Cushing it is always nice to read a book by the person themselves. Its completely honest and very sad when his beloved wife Helen died. A much loved and missed celebrity.
on 10 April 2017
A really interesting read and arrived the day it was due.
on 14 March 2014
I have always admired Peter Cushing not only for his acting abilities but also because his personality comes over as a true English gentlemen. The book tells of his love for acting from an early age and his determination to succeed. He recounts his days in New York, Hollywood and then the returning to England where he met his wife, Helen. He recalls the highs and lows of his life and career but also of the inseparable bond between himself and his wife. An honest account of Peter Cushing which tells you something about the man, which you probably do not know already.
on 18 August 2014
I was fortunate enough to attend the Guardian Lecture given by Peter Cushing at the NFT.I remember that he was the most self effacing and unassuming actor I had ever seen.These attributes come over in the book along with guilt.It is clear that he had an open marriage with his wifes approval.Yet he clearly feels very guilty about his sexual liasons.So as a way of maybe assuaging his guilt he writes more and more about her and her terminal illness.The best part of the main book is his account of his time in Hollywood.The second book deals with his film career.However towards the end he does tend to tell stories about third parties rather than himself.
on 7 April 2016
What a great book - I've been a fan of Peter Cushing since childhood and I enjoyed every chapter.
on 26 May 2013
I have always been a big fan of Peter Cushing and his many films. I found out that his biography had recently been re-released, so I decided to buy it. After I have now finished reading this book, it has left me feeling slightly deflated and a bit disappointed. It is written in a style, which I personally found to be long-winded and hard to understand in some parts. I found his recollections of his Hammer years to be interesting and informative and also his feelings about the sad death of his beloved wife, but I found the rest of the two books to be hard to read and I nearly gave up on it on several occasions, but I persevered. I have also read Christopher Lee's biography and I found that to be much more informative and enjoyable. I also own David Miller's book about Peter Cushing, entitled A Life In Film and I enjoyed that a lot more than this. Perhaps I am just too young to fully appreciate this book, but I think an older reader would be able to understand it more easily. Three stars from me, for a good but not perfect book.
on 17 July 2016
The ultimate horror actor shows in this book how much more he achieved on film and stage besides horror.An excellent book for a truly great actor and gentleman
on 16 May 2013
Fantastic read, and it's really 2 books in one....as well as the previously unrlsd "P-Cushing Story" and for fans of this man's work it is a highly recommended read indeed! 10/10.
on 20 December 2016
haven't got round to reading yet but sure will enjoy
on 3 August 2016
As described. Perfect condition. Excellent value.