on 5 March 2015
This truly is a life changing book! If you stick to it and follow through with everything Rob lays out for you, you will notice a HUGE change in your life!! Before reading this book I thought there was nothing that could be done to help me overcome Emetephobia. My husband found this for me on Amazon and we figured "what could it hurt?" Purchasing this book was probably one of the best things I have done for myself in my life. I have read through this book three times now and I have a such an immense understanding of myself, and I am happier, healthier, and looking forward to having a great life Emetephobia free. Thank you Rob!!
on 27 November 2013
I brought this book a few months ago and attended Thrive sessions with a local Thrive consultant and I have got to say it has been the best decision I have ever made!
A bit about me: I gave myself this fear of being sick at about 4 or 5 and struggled with it up until I was 24, it rulled every single thought that i had throughout every day. I couldn't fly, travel on boats, be around kids, have kids myself, drink alcohol, the list is endless. I had severe anxiety which made me feel sick almost every day, i limited eating and struggled with sleeping. But with Thrive i was given the skills to overcome these and was taught how to manage my thoughts.
When i first read about this i was very sceptical, i definitely didn't believe a self help therapy would ever help me,i honestly thought i was going to be stuck with this fear and that i would just have to put up with it.
I would recommend this book to anyone with Emetophobia whether it is mild or severe, i would also recommend in finding a local Thrive consultant in your area to go through this book with you, i know it may seem expensive at the time but it will be the best money you have ever spent!
If you make Thrive your bible and practice it everyday, it will give you the freedom to live your life how ever you want and do all the things you thought you couldn't - just like me :).
The book is easy to read and talks you through everything step by step and also has some light humour which kept me smiling! It also has articles and the evidence to back all his claims.
Please please give this book a try you won't be dissapointed.
Rob Kelly - Thank You for writing this book, what a life saver!
on 14 April 2015
Absolutely amazing! Anyone considering wanting to try this should, you shouldn't even consider it you should just buy it. It has helped my confidence in my self, in social situations and i have found an inner confidence that I didn't know I had. Be kind to yourself! Don't be so critical! READ THIS BOOK! and even the thought of someone being sick, me being sick doesn't bother me! Whats the point of worrying about whether or not i might be sick if i am i am! if i'm not then great; i didn't create an anxiety or stress before said event might have occurred and therefore enjoyed myself!
on 26 August 2013
I've just finished this book and I can say it's the best £20 I've spent!the book is so practical. Rob (the author) gives examples of what a sufferer may experience in a difficult situation. He also explains what we think,say and do when it comes to our phobia and I gotta say he is so right when he explains things!am reading it saying to myself oh my god that's me!thats what I do. It's pretty expensive for a book but you will always have it and you can always refer back to it. I am now going to start reading it again to enjoy the experience again.
on 13 January 2014
Like a lot of people, I was really sceptical about Thrive when I started the program and kept preparing myself for the scam to become obvious. It didn't and I can also say that with a bit of effort, this simple therapy really can help anyone with emetophobia or other anxiety-based symptoms.

I worked through the book with a consultant and it was an eye-opening experience. I had been in normal CBT therapy for about six months to address general anxiety and that process helped me immensely to understand myself better. What it didn't do was give me tools and methods to create a more robust personality that is less prone to anxiety in the first place. Thrive really has helped me do that - and that differentiation is key: Thrive doesn't do anything to you; it helps YOU do the work required to overcome your issues.

I'm giving it 4 stars as the binding isn't that professional and the paper is easily damaged. Other than that it is a great product and with the right effort, can do what it says.

Best of luck to anyone out there living with emetophobia
on 10 December 2015
This book and programme is a must for anyone suffering and enduring emetophobia, my 12 year old daughter is proof to this. She has had emetophobia ( a severe and debilitating fear of being sick) since she was 7 when she would ask tell us regularly what she had ate and ask us over and over again if she would be sick. We have tried plenty of unhelpful therapies over the years but to no effect and over the years her emetophobia got worse. We didn't really talk about it apart to family and struggled on as you do for the sake of your children. She found it hard to cope in classes when she started secondary school and constantly felt sick, had headaches and was dizzy ( all classic anxiety behaviours) all due to her emetophobia. She had several full blown panic attacks when the emetophobia took a hold of her; usually when she found out people close were ill with bugs or she thought they looked ill! In the summer during one of these times she told us that her life wasn't living! To see your daughter suffering so acutely was extremely hard to take. After some searching on Amazon, I found this book and immediately contacted Rob Kelly to ask him if it was suitable for children. Yes was his reply so I bought the book and contacted the wonderful Cara, a Thrive consultant who could help us through the book. This was the beginning of September and at a time where our daughter's emetophobia had escalated beyond anything we could imagine. She could not go into any classes and spent any time she did have at school wandering around outside and could not sit down as she thought it would make her sick. She was put on a reduced timetable and use of a " time out room" for her to use if she went inside. The school's aim was for her to stay in this room for 2 hours a day and sit down for 15 mins by Christmas - something nobody really expected her to achieve and presumed the only option would be home schooling. She could not stay in a room and ran out of the doctors when I took her (she couldn't even stay in the waiting room!) At home she would walk around the house until 2/3 in the morning, refusing to sit or lie down; when she finally got so tired she had to sleep she would sit up as straight as she could in bed with one foot on the floor - her desire for control was that extreme. I began to read the book myself and was completely blown away with how obvious and logical the programme was. At our first session with Cara our daughter did manage to stay in the room but refused to sit down as was highly anxious for the whole session. Three days later using the techniques taught from the book she went into the school room for 2 hours standing, not long after that she sat down for the 2 hours! We read the book together in between our Thrive sessions and worked very hard at the tasks and work set. Within 3/4 weeks her emetophobia had improved incredibly and everyone ( family, school, friends) were gob smacked at how far she had come. We had about 6 sessions in all and after 4 weeks she began to attend some classes again and since the beginning of December is back in full time education and she is loving being "NORMAL" again. She knows she needs to keep working at it but Thrive has completely changed her and our lives, we are so proud of her. Thank you Rob Kelly - anyone with emetophobia must buy this book, it is the only thing that works.
on 4 June 2013
This book was a lifeline in the stormy ocean that was emetophobia. I've written a book on this subject and at the time I was in hell because of this condition and could see no way out. I'd had different attempts to help/cure me and nothing came even close. I bought this book in desperation.

What a revelation! It's so obvious when you read it, but if you follow all the action points and use the DREAM technique, then you can significantly lower your anxiety levels. I now know that if I were to be sick, then I would be able to remain calm. There might be that initial "oh no!" feeling, but that would go. I know it for sure, because I know I have the skills now to deal with it. If my child were to say they felt sick, then I know I would be ble to stay with them nd not panic at all. In fact, I'd feel sorry for them. Not sorry for me!

Rob Kelly has given me my life back. Now if only he could cure Migraine Associated Vertigo....!
on 29 April 2013
this book has amazing insight into this debilitating phobia.... I doesn't matter how much you tell yourself to snap out of it and pull yourself together if you are IMAGINING how awful it would be to be sick then no amount of rationalising and straight talking will make any difference!!! This book actually explains HOW to change that self destructive thinking without patronising or blinding you with psychobabble. At last!!! A programme that works!!!
on 29 May 2014
At first when I read the first few chapters I felt skeptical, because it is hard to believe a book can cure a fear, but if you work your hardest, and follow all actions and exercises then you will overcome it :D . In addition you will have control over your mind in terms of stress, anxiety, negativity, worrying, hypervigiliance etc. Having all of these qualities really does make living the best thing ever! I never felt so happy destroying this fear!
on 2 May 2013
This book is truly inspirational. Emetophobia is a very restricting phobia but going through this book has been life changing. Rob Kelly seems to have the knack of making this an interesting and informative programme, without a lot of gobble-d-goop that you tend to get in a lot of self-help books. It is down to earth and really very easy to put into practice. Thrive has changed my life for the better and I can't recommend it highly enough.