TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 July 2016
For me, Football Manager Stole My Life was filled with nostalgia of the versions of the game I have spent many hours playing while in the throws of addiction, remembering previous top signings that the scouts had predicted as wonder kids, and generally reliving parts of my youth and twenties.

It is a mix of a book, with some interviews from the games creators The Collyer Brothers, which take us from the beginning up until around Sports Interactive get involved. We hear from players who had been given great potential as youth players, and see how their careers turned out, and how recognised they still are thanks to what is essentially a computer game. There is a fascinating section about the charities aided by sales of Football Manager - War Child and Kick It Out. There are anecdotes of how Football manager has affected many people, and there is even some fan fiction.

It is a well put together book, that is entertaining, and can easily be read in short spurts, as the chapters and sections are all relatively short. There is even the original pitch document that was used to pitch the first iteration of the game to games publishers in which you can see a lot of the base concepts are still present in the game itself.

I loved reading this book, due to my long running love affair with the subject matter, I was grinning when I saw a brief mention of a forum challenge that I've participated in myself. However if you are not a fan of Football Manager (previously Championship Manager in its early days), or have no interest in footballers, then this probably isn't the book for you, as it really does feel like a pure love fest and a proper celebration of at the time it was published, 20 years of this fantastic series.
on 22 July 2013
There's a secretive generation of men in the twenties, thirties and forties who grew up playing Championship Manager and Football Manager. I'm one of them who spent countless hours in front of the screen with my fake team, although I'm not one of the obsessives who often feature in the pages of this book. Football Manager Stole My Life is a fun look at the CM/FM game and those who play and played it. We hear a little about the history of the game and how it is put together through the amazingly thorough scouting network. The authors have tracked down some of the star players to find out what happened in their real-life careers. Some of the sections towards the end start to feel a little more like padding - the fan-fiction story in particular, which is taken from an internet blog. However, it's a great read as long as you were a fan of the game. If you've never played it, this isn't for you.
on 11 August 2013
Any one who has ever owned a computer an likes or loves football will have at some point played championship manager or football manager at some point and its fair to say this game would of or still dictates your life.

The book is a mixture of stories and accounts from everyone who has been affected by this award winning addictive football management game.

The book also has career accounts from some of the players that this games massive data base of players knowledge has highlighted as WONDERKIDS on the game, some players have indeed gone on to become world beaters others have struggled with the wonderkid tag.

Overall this is an interesting read but then again I am probably biased as I love the game anyway much to my girlfriends annoyance, although in my defence I have been playing the game longer than I have been with her!
VINE VOICEon 13 October 2014
I bought this book because I have racked up a terrifying amount of hours playing Championship Manager and then Football Manager. Since the advent of Steam the amount of my life I have frittered away has become ever more apparent.

However this book is just a collection of uninteresting tales that are similar to yours but really.... don't impact you because they aren't your stories. realistically as satisfying as going unbeaten for a year or finding a hidden gem and selling him for £50million is for you.... no one else cares about them. And herein lies the problem with this book.
on 30 August 2014
With the pun in the headline that is

A great wee read about how about how I and many others wasted a lot of time obsessed about a game in which nothing really happens. Nearly gave me the bug to go out and get the newest game, but I existed the urge. There's a great fictional piece at the end which entertained me no end. If you spent manys a night/early/morning/morning/afternoon/evening/night/early morning hunched over a computer moving small red disks about a screen and imaging a load of people with note books taking down your ever read and twisting them for a paper - this is the book for you.
on 19 December 2016
I like this book. It is more exciting than I thought it would be. There are lots of laughs per chapter and provide insight to gamers who have been involved with the game. At times though it feels like a collection of stories smashed together with no continuation. This may work I'm it's favour though as some could prefer to read it not in order.

I would recommend this to any football or championship manager fan.
on 26 March 2018
Enjoyed the Extreme FM part - though given it clearly applies to the vast majority (or at least a great deal of) those reading this book, so much more could have been done with it.

Must admit I skipped Iain Macintosh’s fan fiction at the end - which is perhaps testament to the book. Enjoyable as there’s very little FM content in this format - so probably only by default.
on 25 November 2016
A must buy for any football manager fans like myself a real interesting read with stories from past games including players famous on previous versions and peoples tales of football manager. It really gets you in the mood to start the game back up again.
on 31 August 2016
If you've ever played the game you'll totally understand why this book was written, the dynasty that is Championship/Football Manager has been going on for many a year and made legends of footballers that have never made it in real life all because of their abilities in the game. How many computer games can claim that!?

The book is well written and gives a great insight into the workings required to make a game of this magnitude. You won't be disappointed!
on 21 August 2013
To all of you Champ veterans and to the Footy Manager newbies. This is a look at your past or a view into the future, proper laugh out loud belly laughs... I am amazed that some of those 'Diablo' hero's were oblivious to it all.
Me I am a veteran peaking in 2003/04, I buy it every year just to stay in touch, but it doesn't get the hours it used to...
Really pleased that in comparison to some I am normal!