Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Best of 2017 Shop now Shop now

on 15 May 2013
HI All,
I am just starting out on my investing quest, I have read a number of books that really inspired me including Rich dad and Millionaire mind, but I must admit I have never read a book like this that goes into real detail.
From the start , this book teaches you what you need to know,even for a beginner like myself.
To properly digest all the information in this book, I suggest you read this book a couple of times.
Very well written and easy to understand.
WELL DONE.
on 21 July 2011
A very good book, packed with useful information for novice and slightly more experiences investors. The examples at the end of the book are particularly helpful, giving actual printouts of the charts and technical analysis.
The only minor criticism I have, is that the book could be longer, with a bit more explanation of the more technical aspects of charting analysis, etc.
on 18 August 2012
This is the worst book I have read so far on investing. Not that this a bad book just that the others are much better.The author is a sincere person and a successful investor. A lot of the advice is sound though not original to the author, the problem is that he is not very good at explaining things and often overcomplicates.

His prose style lets him down in that he overcomplicates his sentences and issues by clogging them up with caveats.At times, the book reads like an insurance policy.

The other significant failure for me are the parts written like a college textbook. To progress you have to learn acres of weird initials. If you do not master all the initials and fully comprehend the concepts, you will find yourself wading through whole paragraphs of gobbledigook. I still have no idea what RNS stands for and I found chapter 17 impenetrable.

Well intentioned but misfires.
on 17 December 2012
The book is well written with the strategy being clear and easily understandable. The book gives enough theory to compliment the understanding of the strategy and gives you a lead into taking your studies further if you so require. The use of case studies and a process for picking, watching, and timing of your share buys and sells is invaluable. Whilst I have been a long term growth investor for many years and was relatively happy with the real returns generated by my investments, over more recent times I have started to take a more active approach to my investments, with much greater returns. This book gives me another strategy and is already proving to be worth the money
on 19 September 2013
I loved this book and it increased my appetite for more knowledge on investing.

Having read more I'm not as convinced that the average stock picker will be as successful as this book suggests but I do believe that there is a place for this philosophy in an approach to investing even if a core of one's portfolio is EFs and Index funds.

I wouldn't have been able to come to this conclusion without a lot of extra reading......which I wouldn't have done had I not read this book first.
on 10 August 2012
A hands on practical guide for anyone investing in stocks and shares. In this book Mick shares
his pragmatic approach to picking winning shares by combining Fundamental and Technical Analysis. Unlike other
books I have picked up this book is logical and easy to follow. Mike's strategy has produced a 46% return on investment
over the last three years which is impressive to say the least.
on 27 June 2011
Having read many books on investing and trading, this is the first book I've come across that combines a strategy of fundamental analysis and Technical Analysis (TA) for successful investing. This book is not a heavy read and I would recommend this to anyone either starting out in investing or looking to improve their existing techniques.
on 22 June 2011
I bought this book for my husband because he loves dabbling on the stock market. He constantly has his nose in the book and is so impressed with it that he suggested I should buy a copy for our son also (another dabbler). He likes the informative and well-explained approach which an inexperienced, do-it-yourself investor needs as their guiding light to picking a winning share. He finds the author's writing style likeable and easy to read. The content has provided him with much encouragement. Why? Because he says the examples and analyses provided are detailed and thought-provoking. The author sets the scene so well for making a decision. The combination of fundamental and technical analyses in such a compact book is very commendable.

The one and only nitpick is that the writing on the charts is too small for elderly eyes to accommodate and a magnifier is recommended.

Physically, the book is handy to have around and he is constantly flipping through it, backwards and forwards to refresh his memory, prompting him on to the next item of research.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the lap of luxury is just around the corner.....
on 25 January 2015
I found this book very informative and would definitely recommend this book to a part time investor such as me.
on 14 July 2011
I've just spent the weekend reading through 'Picking Winning Shares' by Mick Pavey. I'm delighted to have read it and it
has given me the courage to get more involved as an active rather than a passive investor. It is a great book for anyone considering taking an active role in looking after their investments (something crucial these days given the high management fees and poor performance of managed trusts!!) I especially liked the summary table looking at key ratios (pg 85), chapter 8 in general which covers simple technical analysis, and in particular the case studies in chapter 16 gave a great practical dimension to the subject and illustrate Mick's successful technique for both buying and selling shares. Mick has in a very condense way put into one book the key aspects to keep diy investors grounded when making investment decisions and provides useful practical references to systems/websites/further reading to give anyone a flying start. Well recommended!