Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle George Michael - MTV Replugged Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now

Customer reviews

on 25 September 2017
Let me say firstlt that I'm a novice and as such I've found this to be an excellent read, well written incredibly useful. The best book of its genre that ive come across.
on 27 August 2014
Great book well written and for a novice like myself it is has a great overview for everything you need to know and being a Producer. The book is also well illustrated.
on 3 January 2015
i am a music production student and this book has become my life. Recommended by my music teacher and i absolutely love it. Worth every penny
on 28 July 2012
A very well written manual. A series of go to principles and more radical alternatives. Studio environment, Instrument/vocal recording, effects/processing, mixing and mastering are all covered. Clear step through examples will have you brave enough to experiment in a short time. If you have a project studio you would do well to get this - I don't have to wade through countless magazines anymore. It will teach you something new or confirm that what you are already doing is ok. I can't really quantify this last bit but It's also mercifully free from the hackneyed delivery of so many music/audio publications - a kind of writing style that seems to constantly be trying to convince you that 'I really know what I'm talking about'. For me, it just makes the book more readable, which is great as I'm constantly using it to reference as I work. I'd be happy to buy other relevant publications from this author.
on 17 December 2012
As a pro musician, recording is something i enjoy but have never been 100% sure if i'm doing the right thing or not. Look no further...The Producer's Manual had all the answers i was looking for to the questions i kept putting off asking and more. An added benefit, Im a Logic user and so is Paul, so it was even more useful to see the examples in a familiar environment. Not saying that other DAW users wont get a lot of useful information from this book.. Also i was surprised to see how professionally printed it was - lots of great colour photos. Sheer class !
on 4 February 2014
Paul White has condensed a lot of technical recording techniques into this book, and has organised it well, so it is a pleasure to read. Good quality paper and lots of colour pictures only helps.
As I read through the detailed advice on how to produce the multitude of sonic enhancements, it occurs to me that it could only be improved by being able to reference 'before and after' sound clips on a CD or website to quickly hear the type of result applying the technique achieves. Itching to try it all out on my own modest kit.

Update 6 Feb: Just seen that Sample Magic are selling an iPad version of the book that states "where the original book could only offer visual walkthroughs, the iPad edition serves up immersive videos from Paul White's own studio supplemented with easy-to-follow commentary". Could be the ticket.
on 4 December 2011
I have only been reading SOS magazine about three years but have always seen it in many studios previously
Now that I am recording my own music and songs, I find it reassuring that Mr White has a knack of explaining everything in a ' musically' appealing style.He always underlines the fact that the performances are of utmost importance.
There's plenty to inspire , here.It's good to see someone that is prepared to talk about the arranging of a song.
It makes the mind whirr and want to write and create and produce more and more.
In fact, that's what his book does, it inspires.It may be aimed at the producer but really it is just as important a read for any person that is recording and writing and performing themselves.
The conversational style, along with the thoughtfully laid-out pics make it the most attractive read too.It has the ' Wow, colour pics ' thing too.
I think it has already helped me to communicate thoughts and ideas with other musicians when recording and writing..
It obviously is a must-buy.

I have to say that I bought this in the same week as Mike Senior's book on Mixing...

I don't think one can go wrong with a pairing of authors such as these.Unless yr songs truly suck
on 16 November 2011
I know of Paul White from my years of reading Sound on Sound, and this book essentially serves as a 'best of' all his articles over the past few years. I enjoy recording myself singing and playing guitar, and in terms of mic placements, getting the best tone and mixing things down this is a fantastic source of reference. There are plenty of illustrations making it easy to see what one is doing. There are plenty of chapters covering a range of topics from recording drum kits to best choice of mics, compressors and eqs. I would say this is a great source of information for beginners and experienced producers alike.
on 22 November 2012
I've been a musician for 20 years now and have recently developed a strong interest in recording, producing and mixing. I knew alot of basics but this book has really opened my eyes and helped me in my first solo project. For a beginner I'd say it is as essential as any studio kit. It's direct, helpful and full of easy to follow instructions, diagrams and handy tips. I wouldn't be without it.
on 29 April 2015