Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 May 2011
This is another Kindle edition which suffers from that huge problem of bad editing. I will get this off my chest just now before reviewing the actual novel, but suffice to say the book would have been given a better star rating if the grammatical and spelling errors were corrected. Some words are incorrectly spelled, some words are missing from sentences, and there are grammatical errors and painful school-boy errors such as confusing 'their' and 'there' etc. This edition badly needs the services of a good proof reader.
Having said that, the story itself is a good one. It flows at a good pace and the characterisation is good enough to make one care about the people in the novel and what happens to them.
I suppose it is a typical 'zombie apocolypse' tale, with the groups of survivors doing what they have to do to survive in the brave new world.
If I have a criticism about the actual story it would be that the ending felt rushed and somewhat 'tacked on' and did not flow as well as the rest of the story - it was a little disappointing.
For all that, I did enjoy this story and give it 4 stars for a good little read.
Recommended if you can look past the poor editing to the good story beneath.
If this is the authors first novel, there is only room for improvement and I look forward to his next offering.
One final criticism would be that the cover art and title of the story put me off ordering this for a long time. It just looks a bit 'trashy' and I think this story is so much better than that. If I saw this in a book shop I wouldn't pick it up as the cover art (while a good picture in itself) just lends an air of cheapness to the novel. I would also consider renaming it as the title does the novel no favours either.
on 11 June 2012
After reading all the positive reviews I thought I'd try just one more zombie book.
The kindle seems awash with zombie stories but this novel uses the backdrop of a zombie apocalypse to actually venture into the human heart of darkness. You could take the zombies out of the story and still have a very good book. The basic premise is that a local village copper finds himself fighting an army of zombies. The survivors band together but soon end up fighting each other. At times I was reminded of Lord Of The Flies but with a gory flavour. Full marks to Remy Porter for using the zombie theme to actually say something about human nature. My only criticism would be the odd epilogue that doesn't seem to quite fit in with the rest of the book. But please take a chance with this book as I'm sure you'll find it worthwhile.
on 4 September 2010
This novel starts with an excellent foreword by Iain McKinnon and grabs you straight away with the wonderful first line.Three short chapters reel you straight into a zombie outbreak from hell where in an instant someone has changed your day to day existence and rewritten the rules....elements of "Shaun of the Dead"..you have questions straight away for the author and I found myself flicking back into the book and rereading sections to look for answers..not often a novel of the zombie genre makes me think!!!
Dead Beat smoothly introduces elements of George Orwells "1984" or "lord of the flies" which add to the neverending horror build up...note to self do not read certain sections when eating breakfast! Nothing in "Dead Beat" is obvious least of all the final quarter of the book where each page I turned expecting it to be the last and a bit of an obvious climax..where instead there was more,opening new questions,throwing the reader a curveball whilst maintaining the novels fast pace and keeping your heart rate racing to the end.
ps I think some of the characters are definitely local!!
I look forward to devouring Remy Porters next novel with pleasure!
VINE VOICEon 31 December 2010
I bought this because I was looking for a short book to tie me through the Christmas period, and having just finished the excellent Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) saw this one linked with it on Amazon's recommendations.

As a first novel, I'd say this is pretty good. The chapters are very short, which is always a plus point for me and the story flowed quite well for most of the book. Style-wise I think I'd put this in a similar style to early Richard Laymon, or Christopher Pike's young adult selection - both very good authors.

The book left me with a few questions, mainly regarding the reactions to the story's events by some of the characters - I'm not convinced anyone would act in the way they did (can't say much more without giving the story away). Also, why so many people were initially uninfected considering how the outbreak came about.

I agree with other reviewers here who complain about the bad editing on this book. I've found errors in most Kindle books I've read so far, but this one is the worst for it.

Overall, this book was a quick, enjoyable read. I can't say if I'd read any more from this author, but I'll certainly take a look.
on 26 February 2011
The plot skipped and the dialogue seemed out of place, as were some of the characters reactions to horrific circumstances. Not sure was editor was up to when was meant to be editing.

Was a bargain buy for the Kindle. Was ok. Forgettable addition to the genre.
on 4 July 2011
Dead Beat is a zombie book with a difference. Not only does it see the lead character Pc Johnny Silverman battle through a recent outbreak of Zombies in his small village, he has also to contend with the Farmers, who like most people faced with zombies, go..well a little nuts. It has gory bits to suit any zombie lover, but some phrases are rather odd...for example "attacking like a flock of demented flamingos????" Never seen demented flamingos in my life, or a zombie come to think about it ;)
Most books Zombie books are based in USA but this one is in a remote English Village. The first few chapters set the flavour of the zombie book but then it weaves in and out of what the Nasty Farmer gets up to....nothing nice I can assure you. If you like horror and Zombies this book is for you..however,only rated it three stars as I found it rather, to be honest, boring in parts. (No pun intended). The books ends well with a small twist towards the end, but I think most readers will see it coming before they are half way through.
Nothing new to shout home about in this book, but it reads well enough, so im not complaining ;)
on 4 March 2014
This is a hard hitting action packed honest to goodness blood guts and gore zombie horror. Right from the very beginning I was hooked and drawn ever faster into a life turned upside down by an unreal horror come to life. As the story progresses you learn how the truth of mans need to survive controls every action and thought no matter what has to be done to achieve it. An absolutely phenominal read if you enjoy the thrill of a good horror
on 10 August 2011
I bought the book because it was highly rated and wish I hadn't.
Firstly the editing is appalling, missing words, spelling errors, switches from first to third person in the same paragraph, etc.
Secondly the story jumps around like half the pages are missing and in places is so mediocre its boring.
Thirdly the characters are totally unbelievable, their reactions to the zombies and actions of other characters just aren't realistic.
Fourthly the zombies aren't scary at all, it seems that they only manage to cause any damage by chance.
Lastly the style of writing in the epilogue is completely different, the ending feels like it should be the middle of a completely different(and probably better) book, it doesn't fit at all.
All in all there is very little original in this book apart from the setting being in a village in the uk. There are much, much better zombie novels out there.
33 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 July 2013
this was a good book, i like the fact that the story line is britain and not america, and the problems of not having a gun store on every corner. but the ending came around to quickly and left me wondering about the Characters on the oil rig and how there time had been. They seem to be the common denominator but nothing is said about these until the end. I do hope there is another book to follow this one.
on 27 July 2010
For a debut novel this shows great potential. In Dead Beat the reader falls headlong into an apocalyptic maelstrom of flesh eating ghouls and naturally looks to the lead character, a police officer, to restore some semblance of order. But the repetitive daily grind of walking his local beat appears to have drained the officers will like the zombies that now surround him. The officer, our only hope, is tumbling through the ever shifting horrific onslaught grasping for safety too. To survive he must wake up and fight for the good that he thought he knew in those he once served. The plot turns again... Zombies are the least of his worries. I look forward to more from Remy Porter.