Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 September 2013
I was expecting a book of Randy Couture preparing to go into the Octagon one last time. His opponent was Lyoto Machida, with photos, training and Randy's priceless insights into training and his opponent. I got none of that. This is a coffee table photo book with some text in it. I am a huge Randy Couture fan and his book Becoming the Natural: My Life in and Out of the Cage was excellent. The Photos are great if you are a photography student, and Randy is in them with a few exceptions it is just Randy in social gatherings or going into being interviewed. The sections written by Randy are good and they feel like memoirs as he is saying good bye to the sport and MMA and going on to his next challenge; but then you have 5 or 6 pages of big glossy photos that have nothing to do with what Randy has just written. In most cases they are just pictures of him hanging around. Which is about as interesting as someone tweeting what they had for breakfast. I got my copy half price if I paid the full whack I would probably have to take away another star. This book is a good bye to MMA and active competition. The best thing I found in this book as a way of summing up Randy is the quote from Sylvester Stallone when

"You put all these tough guys, Dolph Lundgren, Jet Li, in a room together, who comes out on top? If you walked in 10 minutes later you'd see Randy Couture sitting on top of us having a chocolate fudge sundae".

I think testimonials in the book like this (which I know there would be no shortage of), would have been great but sadly they are not there. Just Randy saying good bye sandwiched in between many glossy photos.
on 6 July 2012
I thought this was going to be in the same vein as Being The Natural, but there is little in the way of narrative. The photos are fine, but not a book I will return to after first flick through. Which is a shame, because the last fight of his legendary career (albeit one he lost) deserved a bit more I thought.

A book for the die-hards.

Perhaps if there's a follow-up to his autobiography, he will go into more detail about the end of his fighting career.
on 6 February 2016
I love the way Randy presents his books.
He always so very honest, and doesn't usually hide what he thinks or feels.
Excellent insight into one MMA's true legends
on 31 August 2015
Good book but not all I was hoping for