on 22 September 2017
Useful / informative read, I have put several of their suggestions into practice
on 25 May 2011
Apart from the long title the book is clear, concise, modern and readable. It deals with the essence of advanced riding as in `Road Craft' but in a friendly readable way.
on 23 January 2010
I am afraid I will have to completely disagree with 'Both and'. As someone with a few months riding experience he is hardly in a position to comment.
I have seen the previous version of this book and it was not as well presented but still useful.

I use this book on a regular basis while I observe (advise) people who are looking at doing their Advanced Motorcyclist test with the IAM. It has little pearls of information and when these are strung together by a competent (advanced) rider the result is amazing.
Each chapter ends with pointers telling you what the examiner is looking for.
The pictures show real glimpses of advanced riding.
It is something I still refer to even 3 years after I passed my advanced test.

This book will be appreciated by the rider who is aware of their shortcomings and therefore their weaknesses and is willing to improve. Posers with 5 inch chicken strips need not buy.

Once you are able to control the bike without it being a chore this book will take you to a new level of riding. Nothing like what the boys in blue(yellow hi vis) enjoy but enough to make you safe and quick.

FYI the 'mincers' you refer to in the book are Jon Taylor on the K1300 (Chief examiner for the IAM) the man who has trained more bike cops for the Met Pol than you have started your bike.

Put the book away for the year and read it again in the fall. It will make more sense.
44 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 December 2011
Covers much of the same ground as Roadcraft but with a slightly different slant. For the cost it is good value and justifies it's bookshelf space.
on 25 June 2015
Up to date, clear detailed information easy to follow with bright useful photograph's to highlight the point's covered.
on 13 January 2013
Exactly what I was expecting and much easier to read than Roadcraft although I would suggest both manual for the dedicated rider want to hone their skills.
on 30 April 2013
Excellent book which confirms what you should be doing and acts as a reminder incase you have picked up bad habbits
on 12 July 2015
This book was recommended to me by my instructor when I did some more advanced training a year after passing my test. Easy to read, with clear, helpful illustrations, I found this book really useful for consolidating what I had been taught. There is no need to adhere slavishly to all the IAM stuff - if you have been taught properly, the principles are the same whatever the phraseology. Much easier to absorb than Roadcraft.
on 11 June 2010
A useful book but much of the content is also covered in other publications.
on 27 November 2014
Love this book...... May have saved my life but if not then at least I'm much safer rider. Well laid out, so much clear, simple advice