on 9 December 2014
More delightful episodes from a farm in the Alpujarros. I enjoyed this as much as the two earlier books. I have read quite a few series of this type, recounting the adventures of Brits who move to the sun, and in many cases, the later books seem to be just sold on the back of the first one, often just rehashed material or padded out with less interesting accounts. This is not the case with Chris Stewart - he has held my interest throughout, with the same charm, sincerity and sense of humour.
on 17 July 2013
I knew I would enjoy reading this, I have read Chris's other books, in order as they were written, I just wish there were more being written. He is very very interesting and gets upto all sorts of adventures and, as a way of explaining about people, events and expeditions which made me have quite a few very late nights, I couldn't put his books down. He uses words I have never heard before but somehow I understood the meaning of them, it is the first time I have read a book and actually commented on the way it had been written. I find it difficult to explain but would just like to say I really really enjoyed them all, they are serious, comical,witty, historical and educational, I could go on, you won't be disappointed, I tell everyone how I much I enjoyed them and will be reading them all again. I bought them to take on holiday in September but I have read them already. Whoops.
on 14 August 2012
Dear Chris (and Ana) - I would give your book a 10-star rating if I could! I read the first book over a year ago, and then gradually over the summer finished book 2 and book 3 (believe me - it was hard to pace myself!). I love the honesty that comes across in your books, and admire you for having the courage to live your dreams.....no wonder they placed you in the 'self-help' category! After having read book 3, I have gone straight back to reading book 1 - and now all the whole tapestry of life in Spain comes together. I am not sure I would ever be brave enough to live in the remote (and often harsh) conditions that you live in, but I wish you the very best of success in your ventures and look forward to hearing more stories from El Valero. Please don't ever stop writing!!
on 14 August 2015
I really enjoyed the third book in this trilogy, Chris writes with a flair and passion that takes the imagination on a journey :-)

I feel like I've followed the Stewart family though their ups and downs, and it's been fun seeing Chloe change from a child into an adult and I've loved hearing about Chris' neighbours and learning more about them, and their relationships also, A brilliant series of books, which I have now recommended to several friends.
on 28 June 2016
Having bought the 3rd book of the trilogy in a daily deal, I ended up buying the first two and the fourth. Chris Stewart seems able to strike just the right tone and allow the reader to enjoy a delightful view into his family's lifestyle, friends and neighbours. One can only admire the commitment to developing a lifestyle so well integrated to the land and the local community.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
And yet more of the same, but never dull or repetitive. I ummed and aahed about whether to give 3 or 4 stars as in all honest it would have been a 3.5 had that been possible. This is another book I really enjoyed, actually reading it on my Kindle whilst enjoying my third visit to the region in which it is set, however I can't shake the feeling it isn't quite as good as the first two books in the trilogy, but comes close.

It is perhaps understandable as surely with the passage of so many years in one location those fresh experiences which the wider world would find stimulating and/or entertaining must become less frequent, after all whilst the seasons continually change we do get the same four over and over!

In summary if you liked the first books you will almost certainly enjoy revisiting Chris, his family, his friends and his farm.
on 10 July 2017
Chris Stewart is completely without affectation, his writing involves the reader from the start and always manages to maintain a good level of involvement . I've loved reading his four book "trilogy" and have enjoyed his developing relationships with his neighbours over the years. I hope this isn't the last we hear from him.
on 5 August 2015
Another very well written and enjoyable book from Chris Stewart relating his experiences in Andalucía and following on from his two earlier novels. I enjoyed it very much but not as much as the two previous books, however I would still recommend it to those who have read the other two in the series, just to 'complete the circle'.
on 22 December 2014
I moved to Andalucia some years ago and every body was raving about Driving Over Lemons, which I read and enjoyed. Then I read the next book, Parrot In A Pepper Tree and I was a bit disappointed. A friend of mine who lives near Chris, in Torvizcon and his ex wife, who also lives nearby, in Orgiva, both said that I should read this book. I am so glad that I did, it's delightful.
on 5 July 2017
This book was a bit more dis-jointed than the first two books, with a feeling of being a collection of stories that had been excluded from those books. Nonetheless, it was very enjoyable and have downloaded the next two books. I can't wait to go on my holiday to Cadiz next year, although my Spanish work colleague who is from Granada, keeps trying to persuade me to change my plans and go to the Granada region. Having read Chris's books, I am tempted.