Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 October 2012
In the last twenty years or so there seems to have been hundreds of books written by Brits who have given up everything and moved abroad to follow a dream or a whim. Some of them have been pretty awful.
This book by Chris Stewart is one of the better ones. It is hard to say exactly why; I think his character is the chief reason. Already a fairly laid back, pragmatic person before the move, this allowed him - at least in print - to take everything that the change threw at him and deal with it.
The book has a lot of the usual 'local characters' who seem to populate these books, but most of them do ring true. He also admits that he got one or two character judgements spectacularly wrong along the way. He also errs on the side of seeing himself as needing to understand and work with the locals, whereas in so many of these books, it is the locals who are expected to accept the newcomers without question.
He does introduce one or two innovations to the area, which are generally welcomed - it is other foreign visitors who accuse him of destroying local traditions!
Overall, a well-written account of the start of his adventures; now to read the sequel...
on 21 January 2017
The title is intriguing for a start and immediately conjures up pictures of hot summer days and sleepy Spanish villages set against a backdrop of lemon groves. No doubt the author had the same romantic picture of a life in the sun when he and his wife moved to Spain. However, his account of farming during a harsh winter, of no running water or electricity paint an entirely different picture. I think it's the struggle of daily life and the interaction with the locals that make this book so endearing.
Surrounded by a menagerie of animals, eccentric villagers, unpredictable nature, this book really captures the essence of Andalusia.
on 6 May 2017
I was told about this book by someone who has lived in Spain, because we are moving to Spain. Although we will not be living as the book,some of the description is recognizable to me. A wonderfully pleasant read,you cannot believe someone has been lucky enough to live their dream as this family clearly have.
on 6 August 2017
I read the original version and then the two subsequent books. I am learning to speak Spanish and own a house in Spain. On reading this version, I recognised many phrases I have heard in conversations and encountered similar problems in property maintenance to Ana & Chris. The additional section at the end was excellent and was not really a surprise as I'd rather suspected they were residents in Spain and probably will be until the end!!
on 20 May 2017
This reminds me of a book I read in the 1960, called I believe "I bought a mountain" about a farm in North Wales. This book also makes a striking impression on the guts some people have to make a dramatic change in their lifestyle and against many odds make things work, even with many pitfalls. This book is tribute to those who are willing to give us an easy existance, to seek a life which is not easy, but can be fulfilling without exploiting people, animals or the environment. Also it's a bloody good read!
on 12 April 2017
A very hard book to put down, Chris Stewart draws you irreversibly into his new world, and makes you want to be there too. Funny yet with genuine moments of pain, as you join him on a journey of discovery, new rules, new people, a new way of living.
on 9 March 2017
Another simplistic read that shows really that you should get up and do it.
Throw away your tvs and live more simplistic
on 16 April 2017
I first came across Chris Stewart's writing wit "Three Ways to Capsize a boat" which I really enjoyed so that prompted me to try his better known trilogy about his life on a remote farm in the Aljapurra mountains in Spain. It's a lovely read and I will definitely be reading the other two books.
on 17 July 2017
This is the first book in a series of 4, spanning 20 odd years of the author's life on a farm in Spain. The books give a good insight into rural Spanish culture, they are often very funny, and I have enjoyed reading all about the local characters , and animals, that Chris and his family share their part of the world with. I am reading Lemons for the second time around and it's just as fresh and entertaining as the first time.
on 31 May 2017
A most enjoyable account of a Spanish life adventure. Chris Stuart really brings to life the character of the Spanish people and wild countryside. I was a bit unclear of the time line when it was written though perhaps I missed something !