Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more

Customer reviews

4.6 out of 5 stars
46
The Plan: Twelve months to renew Britain
Format: Paperback|Change
Price:£10.00+ Free shipping with Amazon Prime


on 26 November 2014
Bought for my son who is a budding politician!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 May 2015
If you care about the UK you have to read it.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 November 2014
Very interesting.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 December 2012
well written, concise, and excellent ideas which you will not hear on the BBC. UK can be fixed ib time to take over from the US
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 January 2009
Utterly brilliant, worthy of 6 stars.
I came across this book on the TaxPayers Alliance website, and having read 'The Bumper Book of Government Waste' from the same source, was not disappointed.
Each chapter is a scathing critique of where British politics has become diluted and emasculated, and the 30-point plan at the end is clear, concise and, ultimately, achievable.
Here we have a foundation on which the electorate can build a real engagement with politics, rather than suffer the continued marginalisation since joining the EU, which has accelerated over the past 10 years.
I can't help but feel however, that vested interests in Whitehall and the house of commons & lords would try everything to thwart the roll-out of 'The Plan', as any politicians signing up for it would be like turkeys signing up for Christmas!!!
0Comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 January 2009
The most refreshingly detailed action plan for restoring Britain (and a few other countries if they cared to consider) to a sense of purpose and democracy, that i have read in years. It is accurately and well written. One wonders where the individual authors drew the line for their specific contributions as the style is consistent throughout. I can easily agree with 95% of their suggestions and I am sure that if either author had the chance to speak to me I might well add the remaining 5%.

The beauty of the book is that it is so reasonably argued and apparently do-able by a new government determined to re-introduce the idea of political accountability to as low down the line as possible - the Councils and in some cases the individuals themselves. We live in a second-hand and second-rate Britain but this book and its detailed criticisms and suggestions offer a new start. I shall be buying a couple of extra copies to send to friends. Once read there is the need to re-tell its contents to whoever will listen - be warned!
0Comment| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 May 2009
I am one of the despairing classes. Your recognise my kind if you're like me. A centre right voting individual who although is pleased by the impending self destruction of the Labour party despair that the left wing establishment is now so powerful that almost nothing can be done. That Cameron will be in office but not in power. That the growth of the state now renders all effective political control a contradiction in terms.

Well The Plan is just that. It is a well explained, and most of all surprisingly simple 30 point plan to save this country, or at least get us into a position where the work can begin. I strongly recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn what can be done to fix Britain. I read the whole book in one sitting, and now I'm back on Amazon to get another copy I can send to my MP.
11 Comment| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 August 2015
Very thought provoking but became a bit of a strategy document towards the end and wasn't then so readable.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 November 2008
What I think I like most about this book, is it shows how do-able Direct Democracy is. All that is required is the political will. I very much hope to see The Plan, echoed in the various party manifestos at the next general election.

Minor point, The Plan is printed on good quality paper, which was an added bonus.

I'm glad I bought it, and I suspect I'll be giving copies as gifts this Christmas. :-)
0Comment| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 May 2009
I had low expectations of this book; I thought it would contain only platitudes about how referendums and the Internet are going to change politics.

In fact, the Plan surprised me by being well thought out, achievable and radically brilliant.

They recommend the transferral of Crown prerogative powers (such as declaring war and appointing ambassadors) from the Prime Minister to Parliament.

They suggest that continued European integration is not in the UK's best interest and recommend withdraw from the EU and rejoining the European Free Trade Agreement, like Norway or Switzerland.

The main gist of their domestic policy recommendations is 'localism', which means putting public services in the hands of local councils, trying to emulate the competition in government that the united States enjoy.

They suggest that state education should have voucher-like systems to make it more market-driven and to allow parents to choose.

For health, they suggest people should be able to opt-out of the NHS and pay into a health saving account so they're in charge of choosing doctors, facilities etc.

Local police priorities should be decided by democratically elected 'Sheriffs'.

VAT should be replaced with a local sales tax at a level set by councils. This would make councils self-financing and exert downward pressure on taxation.

They propose a Swiss style ability to prompt referendums with enough people to sign a petition, so if Parliament considers an unpopular bill and campaigners can get a petition of 2.5% of electors within the time limit, the government must either withdraw the legislation or put it to a referendum.

There are plenty more of great suggestions but those are a couple that stand out in my mind. I recommend you buy this book and be encouraged that UK politics is salvageable!
0Comment| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Sponsored Links

  (What is this?)