Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

Price:£12.99+ £1.26 shipping

on 10 July 2009
I can't recommend this DVD enough. If you're interested in learning Makaton signing (which is what most baby-signing is based on), this DVD is both clear and comprehensive. The songs are well chosen, a mixture of old favourites and ones that I'd not come across before, the signing is clear to follow, but detailed enough that you're bound to pick up new signs and expand your vocabluary. My 2 year old son (who signs like a pro)loves it, as do my two older children who learn the signs so they can sing along with him.

The ladies who sing the songs are engaging and have pleasant voices... you'll find yourself humming them long after the DVD has finished. 'Something Special' fans may recognise them from their appearances on the show.

My son and I have had the pleasure of doing quite a few singing sessions with them in person as they visit Great Ormond Street hospital weekly. They are just as lovely in person as they come across on the DVD.

All round a great DVD jam packed with songs, engaging both for able and disabled children.
on 5 June 2009
My daughter, who has Down syndrome and is autistic, loves this DVD. Although her verbal communication is very limited, she signs along to this animatedly. She's 18+, and, yes, well out of the target age range, but she does love it. Would recommend for other children/young people with communication difficulties.
on 15 January 2012
My daughter with Downs Syndrome got this DVD for her 4th birthday and has watched it every day since. She copies a lot of the signing and enjoys watching the clips of children playing.

As a parent and a musician, I have a couple of minor gripes, hence this gets 4 rather than 5 stars. First is that for parents of children with delayed language (for whom Makaton was originally intended) the shots of babies and toddlers does rub in that your child's language is at baby/toddler level, likewise the songs about milk and nappies. Then with my musician's hat on, the ladies' tuning is not always accurate, and the out of tune notes do grate on repeated playings ('I went to the park and I went down the slide' is particularly painful), plus the songs are sung at a pitch which is too low for small children to sing along with (a common fault with quite a lot of children's music CDs/DVDs).

But the main purpose of the DVD is to teach Makaton and they do that aspect of it very well.
on 18 August 2009
I bought this for my little boy who has Dyspraxia and is not talking yet he loves it and is signing along. We are learning Makaton and I bought this as an aid to help us practise I would recommend this to anyone with children whether they "need" Makaton or not. It's a pity there isn't any more Singing Hands and Makaton material available on Amazon
on 21 May 2010
It's Signing Time is my 18 month daughters favourite (and her best)! If I let her she's watch it all day! It's really interactive and had us all singing and signing along after just a few watches. Fantastic DVD, you won't be disappointed.
on 29 November 2009
I have two autistic grandchildren and they both love this DVD. They love the songs. The pace of this DVD is just right. Well worth the money.
on 31 July 2011
I bought this for my 4 year old son who has autism. He loves nursery rhythmes and absolutely loves this DVD. The sign is clear and easy to follow for both Sam and me and it has really improved my sign too. My son seems keener to try and copy the sign I think because he can see the other children doing it. Its an easy DVD to watch and not at all annoying, I can't recommend it enought. I also have singing hands 2 which is just as good.
on 18 August 2009
it's signing time (with makatron) this is a fantastic DVD and children can learn basic signing to nursery rhymes my 8 month & 2.5 year old love it and interact happily. Would recommend to everyone and fab for childminders too.
on 6 September 2010
We first came across Singing Hands whilst watching the programme Something Special, and our 2 year old instantly fell in love with them. We bought this DVD for him and he loves it. We have watched it several times and none of us have grown tired of it. Our boy especially loves mmm mmm frog, and I even find myself singing it out loud occasional at work. (luckily I work alone most of the time or I am sure I would get strange looks.) Suitable for all children no matter what age.
on 2 January 2015
I purchased this for my SEN 4 year old child who absolutely loves this. We (her parents and siblings) also enjoy watching with her to pick up the Makaton signs that come in handy in our communication with her. The songs are simple but easy to sing and sign along with. Well worth the purchase.