on 11 January 2013
What I particularly like about this book is that we are offered a short reflection for each of the 40 days, so that one can start practising straight away without having to spend hours reading about it first! A brilliant book.Was privileged to attend the retreat Shaun Lambert, the author, led on the subject of this book at Worth Abbey recently. Having found Mindfulness very helpful as a means of dealing with depression/stress and being interested in Contemplative prayer I wanted to know what Shaun, as a Baptist minister, might bring to the table. His is a very refreshing approach - one I would thoroughly recommend to all fellow spiritual pilgrims (regardless of which denomination's story of God you prefer).
on 9 April 2013
Thoughtful emphasizing meditation presence absorbing the Word of God in an unhurried manner
I have brought copies for friends and recommended it to colleagues
It traveled with me when I went to work
The author extended my vision and opened my eyes spiritually
His ability to apply insight into everyday situations in his life was challenging and awesome
on 28 December 2012
I bought this having met the author at New Wine over the summer -it definitely makes you think about things slightly differently. I struggle to find the time to do a daily in-depth meditation but have enjoyed following this book.
on 23 March 2015
Bit of a mixed bag here. Some great points are made, and other days it just goes off on a complete tangent as far as I was concerned. Probably was still worthwhile for the better points but not really what I was hoping for if I'm honest.
on 1 February 2013
By the end of Shaun Lambert's wonderful new book, hopefully one of this book's sparks may have kindled a gentle, warming fire in the reader's heart.

A fire burning for a different way of living, a slower, contemplative, connected way of living.

In his book Shaun Lambert looks in particular at St. Mark's Gospel of the New Testament. In exploring and meditating on this Gospel Shaun invites us to take a fresh look at our secular and our spiritual lives. The Book of Sparks invites us to read important texts slowly, to take time, not only in order to go to new depths in reading, but also to grow into new depths in our living.

This book encourages to take time for important things in life. It encourages to allow ourselves to be unavailable in order to be available for others, who need our presence. With this book we may be able to rediscover the joy of living in the present moment through awareness and attentiveness.
Shaun opens new windows to look at aspects of our lives in a new and gentle light. We are invited to look at learning, schools, creativity and behaviour in our society, be it competitive, narcissistic or loving. All these insights and meditations are wrought from the gospel of Mark, making our bible reading relevant for today's life.

This book emits sparks, illuminating important aspects of our lives and helping us to reconnect with our inner self and God.
on 16 March 2013
Absolutely fascinating and inspirational. It has enabled me to view my quiet time as something to look forward too and embrace. It's a book to be used again and again, I'm looking forward to going back to the beginning.
on 28 January 2013
Shaun Lambert writes clearly and helpfully about a journeying faith, the way we might encounter the Christ at the heart of christianity and explore what 'mindfulness' could mean... or more simply, being more fully human and alive. Too often Christianity has been kept safe (boring, unable to help order self) rather than really tried. Shaun offers a study in the book of Mark alongside reflections from his own journey and a framework to engage with that is challenging but accessible and earthed.

I found it really helpful and would recommend it for Lent Study, for House Groups or for anyone who feels that there is a bigger challenge and reality to Christianity spirituality.
on 20 September 2014
Inexpensive, worth every penny and more, inspiring. It's not a book to be read in one sitting but needs dipping into and applying reflectively, so I shall be doing so for many months to come.
on 6 June 2016
Good delivery speed. The book gives an interesting introduction to mindfulness, but the majority of the book is a 40 day course on Christian Mindfulness. There are other better books if you just want to investigate Christian Mindfulness.
on 15 March 2015
I am going later this year to a retreat led by Shaun Lambert so felt I should read the book in advance. I found the introductory section a little hard work at first encounter but as I read further into the daily study sections found this more and more absorbing. I have a habit of writing pencil notes in books I read and this one is filling up with many connections this book is making for me. Highly recommended.