on 14 February 2015
I love it
on 30 December 2013
One of the opening paragraphs in the intro says how the explorers like to do their research prior to visitng these sites as it makes their imagination visualise the ghosts and history of the hidden places. I agree with that statement, however the book is just filled with photos and no information. They're beautiful images but with no captions how are we supposed to know what the sites once were or what countries they're in? How are WE supposed to visualise it if we're not provided with any research? I just dont feel any connection, its more like a photo album. It would be better with brief descriptions underneath the photos to give us a sense of feel so that we too can visualise what these places were once like in their prime. Overall, the photos are truly beautiful pieces of art, but they are just photos. Without information there's no depth.
on 14 March 2012
A visually stunning book, full of rich inspiring images providing a really interesting insight into the ethos of urban exlorers. Most photographers probably started out by taking photos of derelict buildings and abandoned places (lets face it who hasnt got a few such images tucked away in some forgotten corner of their hard drive) but these are the images that most of us could only dream of capturing. Perhaps more importantly this book reminds us of the importance of documenting and recording the faded remains of these once great buildings before they disappear from view forever.
on 1 November 2010
I have spent a while viewing this book in my local Waterstones and at a friends who bought it, and was disapointed with the sheer amount of processing involved. There's a great set of locations there, some of which I have visited myself. It's such a shame the that atmosphere of these places is lost by tonemapping them to look like a still from a video game, especially those with gas mask faced figures in them - what does that achieve?

On a positive note, there's a great selection of locations and some excellent compositions in there, largely spoilt by overmanipulation of the images to a point that they lose the realism that can be presented with straightforward photographs.

I'd like to see the photographs that went into making these HDR images - perhaps you could release these in a separate book?

Who was the book made for, the people that want to see what these fascinating places are like inside, or for the graphical artists involved to demonstrate the capabilities of the latest tone-mapping software.

Compared to other dereliction based books that I've read/bought such as FORBIDDEN PLACES - Exploring our abandoned heritage,Abandoned Places,Asylum,Night Vision: The Art of Urban Exploration and After the Wall, this book just doesn't stand up to the quality of photography.

Overall dissapointing, given my high expectations.
33 Comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 April 2011
I was hopping for something more subtle, and have been disappointed by this book. Some photographs are really good, some are "over-dramatic". I consider "Ruins of Detroit", by Yves Marchand & Romain Meffre, so much more convincing!
on 1 February 2014
To some, decay is beautiful.

The idea of abandonment is to see something in a light which we do not usually perceive. This book shows just how lovely some spaces can be.

If you're an Urbex fan this is a must. Some breath taking images which will make you look over and over again.
on 1 November 2012
I am delighted to have purchased this book. The photography is remarkable and the text allows the reader to enter into secret spaces that capture both possible dangers and multiple histories. Excellent choice.
on 26 February 2011
There is something undeniably creepy yet at the same time utterly fascinating about the images presented in Beauty in Decay. I would say it is an acquired taste but probably one that not many of us realise we have.

You get a sense of the history, memories and emotions from shots taken in hospitals, asylums, factories and such - all abandoned, empty, derict, forgotten and "left as is". To be honest, I haven't a clue when it comes to the technical side of the imagery itself (the equipment and methods used), nor do I know enough about the scene, community, ideology etc of urban exploration to fully appreciate the narrative, but I just find the work presented here compelling and makes me want to learn more about the artisits and the locations, which can only be good thing.

Definitely worth a look, especially if you have any inkling of an interest in such things, and a great price now through Amazon for beautifully presented photographic hardback.
on 11 March 2012
A brilliant book to gain inspiration to take your own deralict photographs and some interesting information inside the book. Although it is more like a picture book. A picture is a thousand words.
on 29 September 2010
I had anticipated the book and when I saw it I must say I was left feeling very let down. The images as already mentioned we're manipulated far too much, to the point you can barely get a feel of the real building. I have seen far superior images on flickr by a lot of so called amatures. I really think the contributors need to have a hard look at what they want to achieve and if it is computer generated images then tout your wares to games designers that can use it not the general public wanting to see a little bit of the rarely seen.
44 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse