on 14 April 2015
The best bridge book I have ever read.

Having recently attended a charity event hosted by Andrew Robson, I bought some of his books. And what he does in his books is take you through each hand showing how a contract can be defeated. One of my bridge teachers, a Scottish Life Master, or senior to this, I cannot remember, even remarked on how much my defence has improved! In fact I bought another book for my bridge partner and I hope we can change some of our signals to improve our play. My only gripe, and it is a little one,is that I have been taught, by a Grand Master, to bid a minor before a major, the opposite of Andrew Robson teachings. But this aspect of my play can easliy be changed. I will just have to wait until my partner has finished reading it!
on 23 February 2013
I have 10 books in this series and this latest purchase is very much like the others. The author has a wonderful ability to explain the most complicated techniques in a lucid and easy to understand way. The 57 hands chosen demonstrate the points he makes to perfection. I have books by most of the leading Bridge players but none can match the clarity that Robson brings.

The only criticism I have of this book and all the others in the series, is that the hands suffer from small probably insignificant errors. The same card could appear in 2 hands. The card is invariably a small one which has very little, if any, bearing on the result. Each book has at least 2 or 3 of these errors. Eliminate these silly little mistakes and the booklet is superb.
on 25 March 2013
Like all of Andrew Robsons books excellent format Slowly building in complexity
Helps sometimes to set the cards out and play the game

I often set up one of the demonstrated games when I hold a bridge session at home. We get chance to check we are in the correct contract and that we played our cards to best possible advantage.
on 2 November 2014
Andrew Robson is probably the best bridge writer in the country. If you take your bridge seriously and want to be a good player, you MUST be able to defend well. This book will save you frustration, puzzlement and bafflement from your partner when you're defending against a contract. Essential that you and partner share the principles, but my bridge improved no end once I'd read this. Highly recommended.
on 13 June 2011
I love the format of these books. Each deals with just one topic, eg Defence as here ,with one tip and illlustrative deal per page. I enjoy reading them and feel I learn a lot.
on 30 December 2012
For all those who wish to be better defenders. The book takes you step by step to all the points one needs to improve one's defence.
I shall keep it as my reference to better defence.
on 25 October 2013
Always well described and claerly set out. Andrew never disappoints when explaining bridge topics. He's the new Terence Reece of bridge writers.
on 14 October 2013
Discusses in more detail the skill of defensive play, and the various signals that you can make to indicate possible source of tricks
on 29 May 2016
this is a fine book which helps you understand how to improve your defence suitable for all levels
on 13 April 2016