Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 May 2009
We have amazed ourselves! My 12-year-old daughter and two friends first of all produced the Dragon Cake for her sister's birthday. I had expected to rush out to the local supermarket for a quick replacement but it was not needed. The cake looked, and tasted, fantastic.
Flushed with my daughter's success, to my family's amazement I also tried a cake - the Kitty on the Cushion. It was brilliant and delicious.
We found the book very inspiring and never thought for a minute our cakes would look anything like the perfect illustrations, but they did. The instructions were easy to follow and straightforward. The ingredients were all simply explained. I would have NO hesitation in recommending this book to children or adults. And it makes a fab present.
on 3 April 2009
Excellent book which helps the beginner produce professional looking cakes.Carol Deacon takes you on a journey of discovery where you learn to produce a cake to be proud of.The instructions are clear & easy to follow & the tip she gives you about listening to the cake to see if its still popping to tell if its cooked is simple but it works.The book takes you step by step through each project with amazing results.Making the cake & covering with sugarpaste is explained in detail for the beginner.You will be amazed with your results thanks to the details contained on each page.
on 2 February 2009
This is a very good book for beginners. There isn't step by step instructions but the projects are simple to make and nice to see. There is also some real good tricks in the book.
on 12 March 2011
I am so pleased with this book! I had never made a novelty cake before but with this book it was so easy. I made the cat and mouse cake for my little girls birthday and everyone was so impressed! I have also made the dragon cake which also turned out great.
The book guides you through step by step. It gives recipes for the cakes with a chart to adjust the quantities/times according to the size and shape cake you are making. It also gives instructions and info for the buttercream and sugarpaste icing.
Each cake has easy to follow instructions with pictures showing exactly how to make each model.
I love this book and can't wait to make my next cake! As someone who had never made novelty cakes before I have been really inspired by this book. I think it is perfect for complete beginners with no previous experience.
on 23 March 2014
I bought this for a friend who has never made cakes before, but as she has a young daughter she wanted to start making her birthday cakes. She loved the book but I would have liked some more designs for girls.
on 9 March 2016
A grest book for beginners in cake decorating...bought for ideas for my daughters secind birthday. Includes a great introduction on how to work with icing, etc and a number of good decorating ideas to get you started. With a bit of imagination, it is easy to then get carried away. 4/5 as it doesnt include many ideas for novelty shaped cakes eg. Trains, hedgehog, etc...the majority are round cakes with decoration. Glad I bought this, would definitely recommend.
on 13 June 2014
I showed my son the book and said "choose one" for your birthday. He chose the tractor and I spent 4 hours the night before his birthday getting very stressed in the kitchen. BUT in the end it was ok and he thought it was wonderful, That was nearly a year ago...I wonder which one he will choose this year.
Give this book a go - what's the worst that can happen (as long as you have a 24 hr Tesco!)
on 25 May 2012
This book has helped me be more adventurous with birthday cakes. I have made little model trains/cars/giraffes and my friends have been amazed and more importantly the kids loved them! It is actually quite easy to do. I was disappointed at how thin the book was but it is certainly a good starting book for a novice like me. Her instructions are very clear.
on 9 May 2011
I bought this book because of the reviews that it already had and I'm so glad i did because the cake i made was brilliant, and not difficult at all. I made the sweet dragon cake for my nieces party,everyone was impressed and i was asked to make one for someone else. Well worth the money.
on 4 June 2011
This is a great book, very simple and easy to follow. Easy for a beginner cake decorator to do! But you can also jazz up the cakes with your own ideas as you get better!
Brilliant book all in all!