Customer reviews

Imagine This
Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 January 2018
I read this almost in one sitting during my flight back to London. An amazing read. As someone said, Lola's strength of character is evident. For instance developing the courage to cope with change. Reinforces that message that the one thing in life that is consistent is change. In some situations, the pent up feelings of frustration are manifested and enacted e.g her fight with Akin. This shows us human nature - if one is pushed enough....Overall a real page turner. Have recommended it to people, but they can't have my copy!
on 7 November 2007
To be honest a book written in diary form about the life and times of a young African girl did not instantly appeal to me in any way shape or form. However, immensely positive reviews from friends who had read the book left me wanting to know what all the fuss was about. When I started reading it, I realised that this was not a book about the life of a young African girl, it was a book about life and the experiences it throws at you at times in an uncompromising manner. I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it. I was addicted from the moment I picked it up and was left wanting when I finished reading it and had to put it down. Give it a go, you won't be disappointed.
on 22 August 2009
Imagine This starts off with a young girl narrating. Initially I thought: "How immature"... I am not sure about this book, but... two things then happened: 1. I started to fall into the story and character; 2. she started to mature.

I teach geography in a huge school... and should really give this book as homework, as I felt that I understood more about hardship in Nigeria from reading this than I could have got from thousands of textbooks or thousands of hours of documentaries... but this is not what it is all about... it is about people, relationships, love, food, struggle, life, death, and one friend I recommended it to told me that she cried through most of the book... I only had tears well up once... but, the book also has hope... and Lola, the main character makes me believe in human strength... and one other thing: it is a serious page-turner... and hard to put down.

I will be very surprised if you do not recommend it to lots of friends, as it is one of those rare artistic achievements (Like the Japanese films "Tokyo Story" by Osu & "Ikiru" by Kurosawa) which can profoundly change the way people see things, think, and can then lead to them finding themselves wanting to be a better person, at least this is what it did for me.

I loved this book, its raw style, the quotes and bits of understanding and hope you do too, as it really is worth reading. Alpheus B. August, 2009
on 7 November 2007
A truly fabulous read that takes you on an emotional rollercoaster as you share the highs and unfortunately very frequent lows of the wonderful Lola. I enjoyed it so much I didn't want to finish reading it, but the addictive nature of the writing meant that to my personal disappointment I finished reading it in just 3 days. Once I picked it up, I simply could not put it down. A wonderful and thoroughly enjoyable piece of literature written in a way that appeals to all regardless of age or gender.
on 9 October 2007
I was hooked from the moment I started reading it. I shared the highs and lows of Lola's life like it were my own. The book triumphs in captivating your imagination as you travel with Lola along her journey of self discovery and awareness. A must read. For those who hate books written in journal form, I challenge you to read this book and maintain that dislike.
on 29 November 2007
It took me a while to start reading this book. Like many other reviewers, I don't normally read journal fiction, but I was excited it was set in Africa, so I created time to settle into it. Once I started, I kept turning the pages. In the beginning I was reading a handful of pages a day, but soon I needed more and the last half of the book I read in one sitting when I was supposed to be working! Lola is a completely engaging character with a unique and often hilarious view of life...I felt all her heartbreaks and triumphs, and the setting creates room for insights and situations in a world far from ours. This is a beautifully written debut and I want to read more!
on 12 December 2012
A wonderful book that had me gripped from the start. I had the opportunity of reading a side part on the bus where I started crying.What made this book so gripping is that what happened to Lola, happened to many Nigerian children during that era, many of whom are still dealingwith the abandonment issues because their parents thought they were giving them a better life. Love your children and you''ll love life.
on 23 February 2008
As a reader who has quite eclectic tastes I was keen to read this book, and I was not disappointed. The author really takes you there, you Imagine This, being in the middle of the hot Nigerian village that Lola is unexpectedly transported to, and all the events she experiences and endures. I read it in just a few days as I simply could not wait to see how Lola ended up. Now I'm waiting for the sequel!
on 17 April 2014
Sad, but determined Lola endures the life she's forced to live. There's plenty of self pity as she grows, but then she has reason for it!
Thoroughly enjoyed this novel, laughed, cried, even identified with the universal themes of love & the expectations that most girls have of it until their hearts get broken.
Recommend this thoroughly.
on 8 October 2007
Must admit I wasn't sure when I first picked up this book but once I started I just couldn't put it down. It made me sad but it also made me laugh. I love the way it has been written like a diary and takes you on an overwhelming journey of a young girl.

I long await the next book from this great new author.