TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 31 March 2018
I wish books would stop being described as 'most gripping thriller ever ' or totally gripping thriller ' etc, because mostly for me, they're not. Bite is possibly a thriller, but it didn't hold my concentration for very long and therefore took me some time to finish.
The back story set in Africa was ok, and it did show its relevance to the plot in the end, but there was too much of it. There's no getting away from the fact that the plot was very good, it just wasn't for me.
I thoroughly enjoyed the author's The Body in the Marsh featuring DCI Gillard and if another is written with this character as the main protagonist, I'll definitely read it.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 4 April 2018
Having read The Body In the Marsh by the same author, which was one of the best books I have read in a long time, I was looking forward to this thriller by Nick Louth. Oh dear, it was so tedious. I particularly disliked the African part of the story, but realise that it was important to the ending, but I was bored with it. I found characters confusing and dull. It was not a thriller in any sense of the word and I wished I hadn't bought it. Yes, the story tied up the various characters in the last few pages, but I didn't enjoy this book at all.
on 3 May 2018
I've just had to give up on it. I am becoming increasingly skeptical about the over the top descriptions of many books currently, especially 'the most gripping thriller you will ever read' and 'a twist at the end you didn't see coming'. Unfortunately this book is neither of those. I love a challenge when reading but I found the slipping backwards and forwards in both story and timeline difficult to make sense of and the Africa sections were not filled out. The premise of the book - don't want to give a spoiler - was actually quite a good idea but the characters were one dimensional, the plot centred around a topic the writer seemed to want to show off his knowledge about which didn't hold my interest. I hate giving up on a book but I have far better ones than this to catch up with on my kindle.
on 1 August 2014
An enjoyable book, but definitely not "the most gripping thriller you'll ever read". I've read books more gripping by the likes of Lee Child, Jeffrey Archer, Konrath/Kilborn, Ken Follett, Simon Scarrow, Fred Forsyth, Bernard Cornwell, blah blah blah. That's not to say "Bite" isn't good or even thrilling, but if the author (presumably) puts something on the tin and it doesn't do what it says, then that's a disappointment. The book is well-written with two narratives - the story itself, and a historical diary - eventually coming together to tie up the threads. Characters are a bit two-dimensional and the central character Max turns out to be some sort of super-hero who can ignore minor injuries like his hand being ripped apart and go on to defeat his enemies with relative ease. All in all, well worth a read at the current price of 59p, but don't believe what it says in the strapline - it probably won't be your most gripping read ever.
3 people found this helpful
on 21 August 2014
Excellent read!
I don't often leave reviews (selfish I know!), but I always read them first before buying! This is a really good read. I don't understand some of the bad reviews made. I would love to read some of the books they find better. Please leave ideas here!!!!
Claiming it's the most gripping thriller you'll ever read is destined to make people find fault.
This book sets off at a good pace and never let's up. It's got just the right level of nastiness without going over the top.
There are a couple of typos that could do with tidying up, a simple enough task that would ease the flow of the read.
Strongly recommend a read of this book if you like good old fashioned thrillers that don't bore you with unnecessary detail and floweriness, if that's a word!
on 1 October 2015
Bite: One of the more tedious thrillers you may ever read! If you prefer your thrillers to be easily put downable then this is the book for you. It is definitely not a page turner and it took me nearly a month to complete it.
The plot is a good one but badly written. After a while you realize that if the plan can go wrong - it surely will.
Constant switches between 1992 Africa to present day Holland don't help you stay focused either. On the whole it might have been a better book written in chronological sequence. I guess the constant flip flopping was to add to the suspense and prevent you from guessing the 'bad guys' but I sill guessed correctly long before the end.
As you may have gathered, for me it wasn't the most gripping thriller.
Having said that it could be made into an excellent film. Steven Spielberg could certainly do it justice.
2 people found this helpful
on 30 June 2014
There is a truth that rings true here when it comes to naming your novel or film. Words like "perfect" or "terrible" in the title simply invite ridicule and pun-tastic headlines. So when I saw the title "Bite: The most gripping thriller you will ever read" pop up on my recommendations it was with a chortle I downloaded the sample. Of course, the actual title of the book is simply "Bite" but the subtitle, which smacks of trying too hard, remains on my Kindle. Still, the sample showed the writing was solid, and the prospect of a thriller surrounding the big bad pharmaceutical industry, was enough to persuade me to buy the novel.

And it's as solid as the sample but hardly the most gripping thriller I have ever read. The diary section is far more gripping than the modern-day events, which unfold as a generic mystery/chase thriller, while the acerbic criticism of the pharma industry promised in the book's description is sadly anaemic. The only real pharma villain is relatively underused, falling sick early on, which really means a missed opportunity for self-serving drama (the head of an organisation like that should have really been the focus for the reader, the vessel representing the industry, but here he is merely a plot-point).

That sounds like harsh criticism, but it's merely a [non-malarial] mosquito bite of a niggle. Overall, it's a decent thriller that fans of Dan Brown should lap up. It could have been great, but IMO it is just solid. And in today's world of rubbish, that's not a bad review.
on 8 June 2014
As far as thrillers go, this was different to anything I have read previously because of the medical/science background to this story. The story goes between the present day mostly set in The Netherlands and the past in 1992 in Zaire (DR of Congo these days). I won't do my own summary as the product description is detailed enough.

I admit that once I got interested, it was quite easy to read a lot in one go and there were some surprises on the way. But I can't say I was fond of all the central characters although the diary sections from 1992 make Erica come across as tough and interesting. But it felt a bit rushed in parts and even at the end it did not seem to add up and I thought there were still one or two questions left unanswered. There were also probably a few too many characters to keep track of and I am sure some disappeared without explanation.

I really wish authors would not include phrases like "the most gripping thriller you will ever read" in their book titles because this creates lofty expectations and when the reader feels those expectations have not been met, it is easy to criticise it and run it down. I don't think it helps that the last thriller I read prior to this one would have been more worthy of that type of description. It wasn't a bad read - in fact it is a story that has some 'bite' to it once you get into the essence of the story, but it could have been more. Much more.
on 22 August 2014
Trading standards ought to get on to this publisher as it certainly is NOT the 'most gripping thriller' one will ever read. There is nothing gripping or indeed thrilling about it at all actually. The first time I started it I gave up after reading 7% of it but after speaking to someone else who loved it I started again and gave it another go. I really wish I hadn't bothered. Nothing about it is actually believable. The diary entries are just ridiculous; nobody would ever write a diary in that fashion and so they just became irritating. The characters are all underdeveloped and then become highly annoying too. I just can't understand the reasoning behind why they act the way they do either, it just makes no sense whatsoever. I know it's cheap, but that doesn't make it a bargain! I really wouldn't bother with this book. It's long, drawn out and really not worth the effort!
on 16 August 2014
BITE
BY
NICK LOUTH

I have been seriously bitten by the Nick Louth bug. His thriller Bite is an absolute joy to read. This book is quite literally a thrilling all consuming compelling read. After reading Steig Larsson’s brilliant trilogy, I thought I would never find a book to compare with Larsson’s but now it has happened and this thriller is one in a billion.

I would highly recommend this book to everyone. It is evocative, provocative, and mind boggling brilliant.

‘POVERTY OF AMBITION IS THE HEAVIEST CHAIN ON MAN’S SOUL’

There is no shortage of ambition with this author and he has managed to create a truly all inspiring novel.

I would score this book 10 out of a possible 10, but it deserves so much more.