Customer reviews

on 3 May 2013
As someone new to studying whisky seriously, this book is a real help. I don't pretend to have a discerning 'nose' or palate for the finer subtleties, but the Whisky Bible is a really good help and guide to my education. There are other similar books and Jim Murray is honest in pointing out that what he likes or loves may not be shared by others. However, I do recommend the Whisky Bible to both the beginner, like me or the connoiseur. Jim Murray surely knows whisky in all its forms.
on 22 October 2013
First of all, I don't want to come across as a malt snob here, I can and do occasionally happily drink cheap blends, however, I do think Jim gives the big cheap blends ridiculously high scores. For example he gives Grant's Family Reserve 94/100 and Ballantine's Finest 96/100, don't get me wrong I like both those whiskies, in fact I often find myself defending Grant's and singing its praises but to score it that highly is just ridiculous, especially when he gives much better blends (in my opinion) like WHYTE AND MACKAY Supreme 22 Year Old Blended Whisky 70cl Bottle a measly 84.5/100. I could almost understand if he took price into consideration but he says in the beginning that he doesn't. It's all subjective I know, no one's going to agree with everything but I just think he doesn't do his credibility any good being so generous to the big cheap blends. Another criticism I have to mention is the varying amount of detail he goes into for individual whiskies, some can take up half a page yet for some there are as little as 3 words. So much for consistency. Something else just worth mentioning is I think he must have some issue with Andrew Symington owner of Signatory independent bottlers and Edradour distillery because there are only 3 Edradour's featured and I have yet to find any Signatory bottlings which is a shame because Edradour is one of my favourite distilleries and Signatory is one of the better independent bottlers.

This Whisky Bible however is unrivalled as a contemporary whisky guide, Jim's love of the spirit and enthusiasm about the industry comes across on every page offering unbiased ratings and views (well except for Ardbeg) on just about any whisky you've ever had or want to have. So if you have even the slightest interest in whisky, Jim Murray's Whisky Bible's is a great book to own.
on 14 March 2013
This is a chunky little book, ably written and full of insight and understanding about the water of life. I would recommend it for anyone from the avid collector through to the enthusiastic amateur. A must have replacement to the work that used to be so solidly undertaken by Michael Jackson.
on 3 January 2016
its an alright book for a reference, but its the sort of book you need to keep with you every time you go out in case you see a whiskey name that you've never heard of to be able to look it up for the so called professionals write up & his opinion. Which lets face it, isnt the same as everybody elses! Yeah sure it tell you the smells & flavours you should be able to taste & smell, but to me, the taste of vanilla is like ice cream, tasteless, & the smell of almonds, well to me almonds are nuts which i think a lot of these so called pros are, unless my tatsebuds have died over the years? So to coin a phrase, in a nutshell its useless to a true whisky drinker that tries & drinks whisky to savour the flavour of one that he/she likes.
on 20 November 2012
The best and most wide documentation and testings about new & old whisky releases. I'll recommend this book to all whisky lovers !!
on 15 March 2013
This is a book full of accurate knowledge for which the author has travelled the world to acquire.And tasted more varieties of whisky than is almost impossible.
on 8 March 2013
Bought as reference present for family member who enjoyes fine whisky. Handly reference guide. Pocket size and comprehensive in content. Recommended.
on 5 April 2013
Great advice and ratings for most of the whisky produced in the world so makes great present to give to whisky enthusiasts
on 4 March 2013
Great little book for anyone seriously interested in whisky. All the basic info on the top brands to help your journey.
on 10 April 2013
Ideal for whisky lovers, a great book, just the right size to carry out with you. Full of useful information.