Customer reviews

on 4 January 2010
I needed to learn Excel 2007 in a rush for a new job; I bought Learn Excel 2007 Essential Skills and just skipped though it, it was so easy and straightforward. I was so impressed with the book (and myself I have to say!) that I had a go at 'Expert Skills'. I did not regret it, once again it was easy to follow and I got through it with ease and..........thanks Mike Smart, I got the job despite my advanced years.
With these two books on your shelves you will never be stuck for an answer to an Excel problem, and you will feel confident to tackle all those tricky tasks involving Excel 2007.
on 2 February 2010
I have got plenty of benefit from this book. I had already completed the Essential Skills book in the same series about 6 months ago, but am a novice to more advanced Excel 2007 functions.

I so like the way the learning is divided up into bite sized portions. Each learning point fits onto 2 facing A4 pages, so there is never too much to take in. All the learning is done using examples, so you learn by doing, rather than reading which works really well for me.

The book is then divided up into 8 major topics. At the end of every major topic there is a short self test so you can check your progress and make sure you have learnt all the key points from that section. I used these too as a way to re-enforce my learning, so as I completed each section, I not only did that test but went back and did the previous one to make sure I was holding onto what I had learnt.

Overall there are lots of hints and tips in the book. Clearly it's a `technical' book, but the style is very friendly and approachable (this is not a book just for geeks). There are plenty of `ahhhhh' moments, when you discover a quick way to do something that has taken you ages to complete in the past, or suddenly have your eyes opened to something Excel is capable of that you never knew before.

There is no way I think I will retain all the learning in the book. But it has opened my eyes to what's possible and I will keep it close at hand as its bite sized learning format will make it very easy in the future to go back to, if I need to be reminded how to carry out a particular task.

Overall I think this is well worth buying if you are new to more advanced Excel 2007 functions or want a refresher. I would be very surprised if anyone works through this book and doesn't find at least one thing they can use to make them more efficient or effective in the future that more than justifies the cost.
on 25 April 2010
I teach Excel, and found this book very useful. "Learn Excel 2007 Expert skills" is for those who know their way around in Excel. NOT for beginners! (As the title indicates.)

It's a great book for the right audience: to the point. It's up to you and your time schedule if you want to read the extra information. The "extras" and in-depth are placed so you may choose to read it.

If you complete each lesson, you'll become a resource for your company!
on 1 July 2012
I have legitimately never reviewed a purchased book before, but felt that I had to add a positive review for this product.

As suggested in the description, this book is not for beginners, but most should be able to pick it up from an intermediate level, or a skilled level in versions prior to Excel 2007. Even when less advanced subjects are revised in this book, the little hints and tips are huge time-savers so it is worth going through the exercises anyway.

But really, the standout of this book is the session / lesson structure. With bite-sized chunks of information and practical exercises, the lessons are easy to digest and formatted in a way much more conducive to learning than any other book I have read on the subject. The slow, gradual feed (and constant reinforcement of) skills also (in my opinion) are excellent for knowledge retention, and I would be surprised if readers do not find themselves acing every end of session exercise.

I bought this book to brush up in a few areas, with the full knowledge that I would have a good knowledge of the majority of topics covered. Whilst this was true, I was pleasantly surprised to find tidbits spread throughout all topics covered that were new to me and extremely useful.
on 12 January 2010
I enjoyed learning to use Excel through the "Essential Skills" book by Mike Smart, as it provides an excellent guide to the more commonly used Excel tools. It is presented in a very clear and lucid style, with exercises at the end of each session to ensure that the new skills have been fully understood. The "Expert Skills" book follows this format, allowing the reader to learn many more advanced and very useful Excel skills with relative ease. It provides an invaluable guide for those who use Excel in the workplace as there are lots of tips and shortcuts to make life easier.
VINE VOICEon 8 August 2011
This beautifully crafted book has given me enormous insight into the subtle workings of Excel 2007.It is so well put together in eight sessions.You download the specific exercises from the Smart website as part of the price.If you are unclear on anything, you just keep going through, the session until it falls into place.Once you completed the session you can then try the exercises.This is the best way to learn from the session rather than go onto the next chapter.I had never used pivot tables or macros before and now I have the confidence to use in my work as a financial consultant. My small business clients are mesmerised by how quickly I can analyse data exported to excel. One of them is a model agency and in no time the pivot table analysed the model, by size, by client, revenue and cost and gender.

I recommend Mike Smart's course to anyone who wants to make greater use of excel and apply it to business problems.You do not have to use all 348 functions that excel has but you can certainly analyse data quickly and efficiently using some of the more common formulas.
on 1 March 2010
I haven't used Excel 2007, before starting to use excel 2007, I wanted to know how the new excel 2007 has changed from excel 2003. I have bought Essential Skills DVD and Expert Skills Book, DVD not available yet. I have learnt more through his easy way of teaching excel. I hardly used the Pivot table before, Now I understood very well. I highly recommend to anyone who wants to learn basic or expert skill. Very good reference book too.
on 23 June 2011
This is by far the best excel tutorial I have come across..Its easy to learn with the help of sample files that can be downloaded from the book's website and works as an excellent reference book too once you have gone through its content once. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to master excel!!
on 15 June 2010
This book is easy to follow as the lessons are broken down into small chunks. The study material provided is relevant and accurate, would highly recommend to anyone wanting to get to grips with the new ribbon version of Excel..
on 11 December 2010
I bought this book to help improve my Excel skills. This book is well written, instructions easy to follow, clear diagrams, uncomplicated and an excellent resource for improving your spreadsheet skills. I have no hesitation recommending this book. I have also purchased Mike Smart's Essential Skills book as well. His books provide an excellent guide to using Excel functions. It is presented in a very clear and lucid style, with exercises at the end of each session to ensure that the new skills have been fully understood. I enjoyed them so much that I contacted him about Microsoft Access, unfortunately he has not written one yet.... Hurry up please..............