on 3 April 2016
Still reading through it but a very good book if you want to learn at a steady pace
on 18 August 2009
This book provides an excellent self-study guide for Excel 2007. It is suitable for both beginners and those who wish to become proficient in using Excel in the workplace. The lessons are well presented and easy to follow as each new skill is explained on 2 facing pages of A4. There are revision exercises at the end of each session to allow readers to practice these skills.

Like other readers I am looking forward to Mike Smart's new book "Learn Excel 2007 Expert Skills".
on 27 April 2010
I bought this book to try to learn Excel in a short period of time. This book is absolutely brilliant!! It is very easy to follow and downloads are available to help you through it. Every different function of Excel is shown in a double page format and there are assessments for you to take after each block of lessons. I got through this book in one day and I am now an intermediate user of Excel.
If you want to learn Excel this is definitely the book to get!!!
on 6 April 2010
I am 46 years old and suffer from Multiple Sclerosis, which due to the condition, prevents me from being employed. These books are a way of proving to myself that I DO have something to live for and the ability to learn new things. I have no need whatsoever to learn Excel but am just so pleased to have found the courses and throughly enjoy them.
Do you need to learn Excel?
All I can say is "Get the books, enjoy and before long you will become amazed at how quick you can learn"
on 15 December 2010
Before buying this book I was torn between this or the Expert Skills edition, since I have had a lot of experience with Excel 2003. However, starting with the Essential Skills book was definitely the right decision. Although there were familiar elements, there was something on every page of this book that enhanced my use of Excel 2007.

In the past, I've known there must be a way to do a certain thing, or a more efficient way to do another - this book reveals those secrets. It acts not only as a very clear learning device (the end of chapter exercises are an excellent way to reinforce the knowledge), but also as a reference guide if you need to dip back in (when at work, for example) to remind yourself of how to do something.

I had been worried that a book on Excel might be dry and laborious; far from it. Each lesson involves working with a range of Excel workbooks (downloaded from the books' website), so you genuinely learn from experience.

I think more than anything this book reveals the simple power of Excel 2007 without overwhelming the reader. It actually left me looking forward to putting together a workbook. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to become a more efficient and professional user of Excel.

I have since moved on to the Expert Skills book, which is more challenging, but no less accessible.
on 8 December 2009
Excellent product. Systematic, coherent and well structured. Starts off leaning towards the rather obvious and easy but works towards reasonable complexity quite quickly. Very useful for anyone who wants to update their skills from a lower version of Excel.
on 19 May 2010
I am learning new, easier and quicker ways to do things that I didn't know was possible. I really like that it's a book and I can skip straight to the subject I'm interested in. This tool is perfect for: someone who has finaly decided to convert to excel 2007, a total beginner (very easy to follow step by step), or someone already using excel but never really learned how properly (like me and the majority of the people). I will definitely save a lot of time in the future thanks to this book.
on 1 April 2010
What a wonderful series of books and videos, I have purchased both the Excel 2007 Essential Skills and the Expert Skills. These books and videos don't assume that you know or have used Excel 2007 before, the books are very clearly written and easy to understand and I recommend that you buy both the books and videos as they complement each other, it's nice to check that you have it right by watching the video, which can be paused whilst you practice. I am an Excel 2007 user at both work and home but there are always things that you don't know or haven't used for a long time, these books/video shows you how it should be done............Brilliant Mike, I have tried other books that are useless (only one place for those to go - bin). If you want to learn how to use Excel 2007 with confidence buy the Mike Smart series. Thanks Mike......Roz Carder
on 16 June 2013
In my view, this is a terrific and extensive learning resource for anyone wishing to teach themselves Excel 2007. What I particularly like about it is that the lessons are brief, very clearly set out and are accompanied with some great practical exercises which you download for free - and there are online videos to accompany some of the lessons, should you wish to have a look at these too. Although not a complete beginner to Excel, I still found starting this book from the beginning very useful, as it contains tips to get the most out of Excel as well as other ways of handling data in spreadsheets that I didn't know about until coming across them in this book. It actually made creating and working with spreadsheets interesting for me too, which I didn't think would ever be possible! I will definitely hang on to this book to refresh my basic skills as and when necessary and as a handy reference source. I have only one slight criticism to make of this book, and that is I felt it could benefit from being produced in full colour rather than in plain black and white, which I think would have made the charts and diagrams stand out a bit more. Having said that, I appreciate this may make the cost of producing it higher and it is still a great self-study publication, hence the five-star rating I've given it. I've also brought the Excel 2007 Expert Skills book in this series and am looking forward to working my way through that very soon.
on 2 November 2010
This book is a Step by Step approach to basic Excel in detail. My only disappointment was that I was more advanced than what the book was teaching me!!! Even so I still learnt a thing or too. I will be looking to buy the advanced version now