Customer reviews

Get Rid of Your Accent: The English Pronunciation and Speech Training Manual
Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 February 2007
The authors have collected years of experience and expertise to create Get Rid of your Accent. As Head of Speech at Central School of Speech and Drama in London, I've found it a practical and effective tool for speech study.
on 21 March 2010
I think this book is useful. But I'm little disappointed because I was expecting more exercises.A different view is that it aids to find how you organize yourself when you are studying pronunciation lessons.I think it is a kind of guidance. I generally use this book and BBC-English Pronunciation lessons. Both are really help improving my accent. I suggest to get one!
on 17 October 2014
This book helped me a lot when I moved to London. My knowledge of English is great, but my accent was so bad, people frequently asked me to repeat myself. Now I feel more confident in everyday conversations and especially at work.
on 4 January 2007
This is a fabulous book! I'm a management accountant, but because of my strong Polish accent, I sometimes felt that people were treating me like the kebab woman. Now, I listen to the CDs and practice and can see my progress; the method and exercises in the book are really working for me.
on 26 February 2013
It is an execptional book. Just received it. I started reading it straght away and practice the firsts lessons. There are great reviews in the book about it too! Hope to get rid of my Swedish accent as my British friends identifies it (though I am half-Hungarian, half-Romanian).
on 22 December 2014
the book is a great help
on 14 May 2014
Prefer the voice training manuals and CDs by Joanna gray which actually give you methods to change your speech and cut out all the rambling. This book is far too basic and expensive when it is aimed at a primary school level of English.
on 17 March 2009
I am a Polish woman teaching in a British school and have always been concerned about how my students perceive me. I am only half way through the 'Get rid of your accent' book and was delighted that someone recently praised me on my good pronunciation - that never happened before during my 13 year stay in the UK! This book definitely helps, although it certainly requires fair amount of commitment.
I work through it by trying to learn most of the example sentences and short poems by heart while driving to work and then aim for repeating them aloud several times throughout the day. I have already made several 'discoveries' of everyday words pronunced quite differently than I thought they are.
I am sure anybody who speaks English as their second language can improve (even if just a little bit) their accent by using this book!
on 31 August 2015
Good quality and very educational. I recommend it to anyone who is interested in educational aspects of it. Thank you
on 11 July 2013
I bought this book to assist me in speaking better, something I have always bothered about and this book really helps.