Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 August 2013
Of all the police books from Monday Books, this one is my favourite. The author says exactly the same as all the other police officers say in these books - that the police force is in dire need of a high pressure jetwash with a strong solution of common sense. What's so charming about this particular book is the delightful way in which it's been written with humour - from gentle fun-poking to scathing irony. This is far more readable and convincing than a Big Rant, especially if the Big Rant is repeated ad nauseum. To the minority of reviewers who suggested that EE Bloggs 'despised certain sections of the public', I would say: You go live amongst these people for a year, then see if you still feel so broadly philanthropic.
The only criticism I have on this book is that it ended rather abruptly.
Very highly recommended for those with both common sense and a sense of humour.
on 2 November 2013
Just how I like my books to be. Good British humour and an insight into the bureaucratic procedures of British policing. I live in Greece now - it's refreshing to see that it's not just this country that has ridiculous bureaucracy in place.

Liked the diary format and how a potentially boring set of procedures has been recounted in an intriguing way. Yes, a little repetitive (OK, we GET that the author's frustrated by the system, just as much as the reader is starting to get frustrated by the author being frustrated), otherwise an entertaining read that will leave a wry smile on your face.
on 17 October 2011
This is a book containing the day to day experiences of a female police officer. It contains graphic details of what it is like to work with the general public and just how obnoxious some of them can be. She also highlights the frustrations caused by the bureaucracy forced upon them and how these can prevent the ordinary officer from doing the job that they actually want to do.

I'm sure that there are those that will consider this to be a work of fiction; but from personal experience I know that what you see in this book is merely just the tip of the iceberg. So many police officers these days are pointing out the issues that they face, and yet politicians of all stripes simply fail to understand the problems that they have caused by their constant meddling and incessant demand for monitoring and achievement of artificial targets.

When you read this book, you could very easily become frustrated and depressed at the stupidity of the situation that currently exists, and it would be all too easy to think that nothing could be done to fix the problems. However, within the pages of this book (and others like it) there is information that could easily be used to make the police more effective; if the will were there.

I found it well written, easy to dip in and out of, or read in a single go. There are some comments that some will find offensive, but I would suggest that the average person would read this and feel a considerable sympathy for people that are doing a very tough job under quite trying conditions.
on 15 June 2013
Written under a Nom De Plume, about a County Force with a heavily disguised name, we are given an insight into the day to day routine of a struggling Constable. (Of the feminine gender.) The struggle does not refer to any anti feminine bias, but to the constant task of submitting "returns", for every possible situation and event.
" Ha!" I hear you cry, "Another boring piece on statistics." Wrong. I read a well written book that explained very simply why we don't see so many coppers on the streets these days. What is more, if you read between the lines, you will realise that the causes are the two great Demi-Gods: Accountability and Transparency. Demanded, dare I add, by you and I. The book is written with at times, considerable wit, clearly by a woman. A woman, I might add, that SHOULD she have been my Daughter, I would have been proud.
Read this book and find out what a Mop is. A clue, I'm one and so are you.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 October 2015
Anyone who has worked in, or in a way connected with, a public service organisation will be familiar with the way in which the management element of such bureaucracies expand irrespective of size of the number of people at the sharp end (and if you aren't, read "Parkinson's Law" - it's nearly 100 years old and still true.)

Compound that with the drive to meet targets rather than actually do the job that the targets are supposed to be monitoring, and you will appreciate the way that skilled and highly trained people drown under a mountain of paper (or screen) work that prevents them actually doing the job they signed up for.

That theme runs all through this book, will innumerable tales of bureaucratic meddling which make a difficult job harder - or even impossible occasionally. But it is all illustrated by hilarious anecdotes and set out with such blistering sarcasm that a book which might otherwise frustrate or irritate the reader leaves you laughing - out loud sometimes.

I do not agree with the reviewers who found it repetitive. It hits the ground running, and speeds up from there occasionally. The flow of anecdotes, and the humour, never flag. The writing style is as fast paced and hectic as the profession it describes. Intriguing little glimpses of the author's personality and personal life are caught on the way. Done well, these sorts of books educate as well as entertain. And this one does both superbly.

I hope there is a sequel.
on 12 March 2013
The WPC author is witty and nuanced and knows how to entertain. She is also diplomatic enough to know how far to take her perceptive satire. I gained insight from her book into the way officers compete for arrests, especially the men, sometime to the detriment of one another in the stairway rush. But of course the background to this competitiveness is the same artificial target requirements that are ruining the NHS, our universities and our schools. In any case, in the end, despite the bureaucratic pressure, EE Bloggs reveals that somehow the police do a surprisingly good job. And, at the same time, this is one of the funniest and humane books I have read.
on 3 November 2011
I'll start by saying I know nothing about the inner workings of our police department, that said I both really enjoyed and understood the book.

I felt that the anecdotes and characters presented were very amusing, and at times I had to remind myself that these are representations of real people, real cases and real bureaucracy gone mad! I shall definitely have more sympathy for our police force in future. The writing style was extremely engaging - the right amount of wit and sarcasm and I couldn't put it down. The side-story with Will was nice too and gave the story a nice through-line, although it was resolved rather fast which prompted me to turn back, wondering if I'd missed something!

My only qualm with the kindle version is there is a glossary at the end that you can't easily access throughout the book! Although easy to follow, a few departments and abbreviations cropped up that I couldn't quite remember and I think the glossary would have helped.

Overall a very fun read - recommended!
on 23 February 2014
Every word of this is true. If I have one complaint it would be that Ellie doesn't go far enough to expose the politicization of the Police service today. Ever wondered where the his visibility policing is located? Get a map of MPs homes. Wonder why she says that celebrity burglaries get a higher level of attention than yours or mine? Ellie Bloggs scratches the surface and the smell isn't very nice.
on 14 August 2015
I was very disappointed with this book. As a non-fiction book, I expected to get some factual information with perhaps a bit of humour on the side. Instead it turned out to be written in a very irritating "hilarious" style, which would have provided an excellent script for a stand-up comedian. After two chapters, I gave up. Absolute rubbish.
on 17 October 2007
I absolutely loved this book and found myself cackling to myself as I was reading it.

PC Bloggs captures the nonsense and lunacy that pervades the British police service and somehow makes it hilarious.

Written in the style of a novel, the characters are brilliant - haven't we all met a "Shimona" at some time in our lives - and you get a sense of the cameraderie that exists between officers in the police force.

The book continually proves that fact is stranger than fiction, for example, I was amazed when I read that PC Bloggs was stopped in the street by a mother who had lost her four-year-old son and then, after Bloggs had taken a description of the boy, said she had to hurry because she was late for a hairdressing appointment!
The book is crammed full of stories just as bizarre and the reader feels Bloggs' frustration when things are going badly and her elation when she manages to get rid of a "non-crime" that has been plaguing her for months.

There is also romance with her "will she, won't she" ever get together with her colleague Will.

It is a fantastic book and I look forward to reading a sequel!