Customer reviews

Muse: Inside the Muscle Museum
Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 February 2010
I've been a Muse fan for about a year now, and I know what it feels like to be totally obsessed and ingrossed with Muse and have your parents worry about sending you to a doctor. I've seen Muse once live, and it was the best 2 hours of my live. So I'm a big Muse fan, ok!
The preface of the book had me at once, capturing what I hold dear as a Muser: The sense of a body of people, the fans, like a family of all ages, nationalities, and describing the religious feeling of Muse's gigs.
A fantstic insight into Muse's career, particularly the difficult beginning years. It contains thousands of interview clippings, and lots of pointless and disturbing facts (yay!).
I've read this book so many times (particularly when angry or depressed) and the last line always has be in tears:
'And wherever this story takes the band and fans alike, the soundtrack is sure to be brilliant.'

Ben Meyers has a HUGE amount of respect for the fans, and thats perhaps why I respect him as a writer so much.
A MUST for all Musers - my family.
on 1 June 2011
Another Independent Music Press book, another frustrating read.

The publisher may want to look into the proofreader's sickness record. He/she was off sick when the first draft of the Dave Grohl biography arrived. Sadly he/she got another cold when the postman dropped off Ben Myers' Muse biography.

Though Myers provides greater insight in his book and there is something a little more interesting about his writing style, the missing words and spelling errors add to the feeling of another book hastily thrown together to cash in on interest in its subject. As much as you might like the band, it simply doesn't grab the attention and maintain the concentration like so many other music biogs out there.

Having seen this band live more than any other, I was looking forward to reading Myers' book. 100 pages in and I realised how disappointingly putdownable it is. So I put it down. And never picked it up again.

If you must read it, lower your expectations and have a proper rock biog to hand in case of emergencies.
on 25 August 2011
"Muse": Inside the Muscle Museum is a great read for any Muse fan. It is well written and delves into the band's past which is very interesting.
The book gave myself a better idea of how the band started and progressed. With each album, there's a story which any Muse fan loves.
I strongly recommend this book as I was hooked from the start.
on 1 February 2013
Good price & quick delivery but I did struggle with getting into the book, actually to the point where I haven't even finished reading it.
on 23 February 2009
Excellent. This is the only book that my son has actually read voluntarily. Perfect for any Matt Belamy fan.
on 18 April 2010
i thought the book was ok i guess i thought ben seemed to go way to much into description and never got to the point i wouldnt recomend it to muse fans but it's up to you you dont have to listen to me but they didnt focus on the bands start out and just went sraigt into the fame so that didnt put a positive on my future music career

so over all this wasnt as good as i hoped :(
on 2 October 2015
great
on 23 May 2008
Im a muse fan, and it gets two stars because its the only book out there at the moment about muse (otherwise it would have got one). I wish someone else would hurry up and write one.
Its poorly written (I think a 12 year old could have done better- honestly this guy is a music journo?), and is sycophantic to the point that it makes you want to stop reading- its like reading a fanboys tribute to the band. So if youre a teenager who wants to know the story, or a huge fan who wont mind reading a couple of hundred pages of hero worship- this may be the book for you- Otherwise steer clear.
A poor effort, the band deserve better- I wouldnt be surprised if theyve read it and think its a steaming pile of turd.
on 23 September 2009
Padded, boring and full of terrible sycophantic "observations". Muse are not exactly the most exciting band in the world and this shows in their biography but surely it could have been better than this. Hard to belive this was written by a journalist within the industry. A terrible read and and an endurance test to finish it. If you make it to the end this will be straight down to the local charity shop!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse