Customer reviews

on 2 August 2012
I'm not usually a short story fan as I like to really get into a book and live with the people inhabiting it for a while. However, I bought this on recommendation and am so glad I listened. Each story is utterly absorbing from the start as the characters are so well drawn. All different and original I found myself trying to guess what the twist could be or how it would end. Sometimes there isn't time to read a full-length book and it's great to have a volume to hand for a complete, but quick, fix. Warning - I have been late for a couple of things because I just had to get to the end and then I really wanted to read the next one....
on 26 April 2012
I have seen Carolyn's plays before so I knew her ideas were original and although this is her first book of short stories I was confident that the book would be a winner. I was not disappointed. Some of these stories are adapted from her short plays, and they are excellent as both. She gets beneath the skin of people so we feel we are actually there and we know the characters. Nothing is straightforward or how you would imagine it with Carolyn's plots; there is always a twist or a sting in the tail, rather on the lines of Roald Dahl. I found the length of the stories perfect for reading in bed at night, but they would also be good for Kindle owning commuters. I cannot recommend this book more highly.
|0Comment|Report abuse
What a fabulous collection of short stories. Carolyn Pertwee has brightened up my day with this book - I did try and outguess the twist in each of the tales, but was always outwitted by her sharper mind. I shall look out for the next one.................
on 14 October 2012
I made the mistake of picking up this book just as I was going-already late-to bed. I was still reading when it fell onto my face as I nodded off to sleep around one o'clock. Next day I guiltily read on and off,and finished it in the afternoon. The stories are full of wit, pathos and great characters,and Ms Pertwee has a terrific ability for creating plots which keep one guessing and always eager for the outcome.It would be the ideal companion for a journey or holiday,or indeed any time one needs an entertaining and stimulating short read. More please!
on 6 December 2012
I am not normally a lover of short stories, preferring a full-blown novel to get my teeth into. But I totally loved Carolyn's book of intriguing tales. I could not believe, and was totally surprised, how much each tale gripped me from the beginning, how well I felt I got to know the characters and how satisfied I felt at the end of a jolly good read,especially when some of the tales lasted only half-a-dozen or so pages!I highly recommend this book.
on 19 May 2012
I started reading the stories on the plane going to Barbados, and finished it by the pool. Every story had my full attention from start to finish.
on 29 August 2012
Very good . First short story,s book I have read. I will read more .What made it more interesting was that I met the author on my holiday in Greece this year! Lovely lady.
on 4 April 2013
A collection of memorable short stories: well crafted,touching and humorous.
The author writes perceptively of the human condition.
Tales one looks forward to reading - each refreshingly different.
on 10 April 2012
This great collection of short stories puts me in mind of Alan Bennett's Talking Heads - little vignettes from middle-class suburbia, each with a delicious and unexpected twist in the tale, sometimes utterly wonderful, at other times desperately tragic. I found myself moved on many occasions and definitely intrigued throughout. Carolyn gives a completely fresh perspective to old themes of love, infidelity and betrayal. But I think her best portraits by far are those of mothers - she seems to be able to describe feelings, loyalties and wishes most of us just have an instinct for. In Orphan Annie, Changing Faces and The Beautiful Couple she explores the meaning and truths of motherhood, all from very different angles. In fact Changing Faces was my favourite of all her stories - a gentle horror story unfolding in slow motion.
Above all, I think Carolyn has a great love and warmth for the diversity of the human condition.
Her humour, ebullience and sheer delight in the wonders of what we get up to really come across and I look forward to reading more from this author in the future.
on 6 August 2012
A great book to take away on a short holiday or for a long commute, Feeling the Fear is an entertaining, light read infused with poignant moments, perceptive insight and some satisfying twists. This collection of stories probably isn't for everyone, as the author's personality pervades her writing and you'll have guessed that these stories were written by a white, middle-class, over 50s woman without the need for the photograph of Caroline on the back cover to confirm this. However, I found them to be warm, witty and engaging - Caroline is a comfortable and rewarding companion with whom to spend a few hours and I look forward to reading more of her work.