Customer reviews

The Fall of Lucifer: Bk. 1: The Chronicles of Brothers
Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 September 2017
Bought this to satisfy my curiosity, which was aroused by so many adverse comments laid against the author Wendy Alec. After reading it I understood that half the comments from people are valid, but other comments are unfair. WA is certainly a highly capable writer, but her idiosyncratic style obviously puts some people off (confusing me in places also). The main concern with her book (and its sequels) is the question of how well she understands the reality of the spirit world and of Lucifer's mindset. Here, she goes wildly off-track in many respects. Her description of heavenly realms is, to make use of the words of one commenter, little different from a fantasy Dungeons and Dragons tale. It's possible Christian believers, whose understanding of spiritual things is weak, may be led into wrong apprehensions about these things, so it's safest to regard the book as a work of fiction, and not in any way a fictional approach to factual knowledge about the devil and angelic powers.
on 29 May 2013
For many, trying to understand why we are here on earth is difficult enough, let alone trying to understand God, Jesus and Satan. This book will give the reader a great platform to start from and will, without a shadow of a doubt, help that person become a believer.

I first purchased Sons of Perdition on Kindle when on holiday and realised after reading the first few pages and being introduced to all the characters that I actually needed to read the series from the start. Once you've read this, you will be compelled to read The Messiah, Sons of Perdition and A Pale Horse.

After I read these four, my wife read them too. Un put downable...
on 23 April 2017
this is my second read.
on 28 May 2017
Took a while to kick in, but it's dope!
on 26 December 2012
A tale of the origins of evil, Wendy Alec's masterpiece had me gobbling up the book faster than I've read anything before it. Our story begins in a beautiful heavenly world as seen through the eyes of three bothers and archangels, Lucifer, Michael and Gabriel, who share eternity in a triune brotherhood. With each subsequent chapter, a subtle and brooding evil begins to take hold of Lucifer after he learns of Yehovah's (God) plan to create a new race: Man. Consumed with a new emotion, jealously, Lucifer plots against the very One he was created to serve and adore, which leads to the infamous Fall from Heaven.

If you've ever wondered what was going on inside Lucifer's head to cause such an evil transformation, I can recommend no better book. Although this is a novel, many of your questions will be answered in this 'What if...' story. If you get anything from this book, it will be the understanding of how dangerous unchecked pride and arrogance really are.
on 20 June 2017
This book is simply amazing! Holyspirit led. Definitely. You can feel it. I am learning so much.
God bless you Wendy Alec
on 15 November 2010
A refreshing read - the repetition of phrases is evident but not that bad - didn't expect too much from it as it is fiction and someone elses imagination at work. If nothing else this book will get you thinking about the bible's story of creation and how it might have played out if you were watching behind the scenes. This book should be judged for what it is - a work of fiction - its a really engrossing read - full of positive imigary. If you are a christian - you will acceppt that not everything in the story is factual - but it isn't offensive either - in fact it may hellp you to appreciate some bibilcal themes even more - as the book really makes you refelct on them.

Enjoyed the book more the second time I read it - as there is a lot to take in the first time round.
on 23 October 2014
I like Wendy Alec as a person and don't doubt her passion and commitment to see people come to salvation. Her skills in broadcast media are evident but I'm afraid she is no C. S. Lewis.
One of the greatest challenges facing the global church in the 21st century is poor, uninformed doctrine and this fictional account of a major Biblical event merely adds to all that mis-information.
I don't know how well schooled Wendy is in Bible knowledge, but this book seems to have ignored every scripture and prophecy that informs these events and leaves the reader with an utterly false impression of what the purpose of mankind truly is and how Satan figures in those plans.
Wendy freely confesses to coming from a Catholic background and it seems much of the imagery and plot-lines have been extrapolated from Catholic dogma, rather than Biblical insight.
Wendy and her team should stick to what they're best at and concentrate on expanding the reach of the GodTV signal and allow other ministries to provide the content.
As for writing fiction or non-fiction, this should also be left to those who have been gifted for that specific purpose.
Sorry to say Wendy, that is clearly not your calling.
on 5 December 2005
This is such a great read!
Wendy Alec has taken an extremely difficult subject for her first novel and made it exciting, illuminating and thought provoking. Her writing style is easy to read and very morish.
I read this novel in a day, which wasn’t my intention, I just found myself reading another chapter, then another and another… One of the things that made this possible is the short chapters allowing the reader to read just one more…
After the huge disappointment of the Left Behind series by Jerry B Jenkins and Tim LaHaye, I have been left somewhat jaded in my view of Christian fiction. I did find that series to be elitist, partisan and somewhat morally dubious. None of these failings can be said of the Fall Of Lucifer. Wendy Alec is a humble person by nature and this comes through in her sensitive and mature writing style.
I did find the first couple of chapters a little repetitious mainly in descriptive passages about the First Heaven; but on reflection, given the subject matter and how truly impossible it is for us to imagine, it is both forgivable and completely understandable. As a writer myself, I don’t see how she could’ve done better. I certainly wouldn’t even attempt a novel like this. It is quite obviously a work of imagination, biblical knowledge and revelation. I’m not sure that anyone else could have pulled it.
As I intimated earlier in this review, I’m not a huge fan of Christian fiction. I read mainly secular novels and got so fed up with the Left Behind series that I honestly thought I wouldn’t read another Christian novel (I read the first 11 and gave up half way through the final one – so you can imagine just how fed up with it I was). It seemed to me that non-Christians were doing a better job of writing about Christian themes (Stephen King, The Stand. for example).
But the theme of Lucifer’s fall was so intriguing to me that I couldn’t resist, and thank God I didn’t. I’m so glad that Wendy didn’t write some caricature of Lucifer cackling and rubbing his hands together. That was a trap that Jerry Jenkins fell into with the Left Behind books making the Antichrist a stereotype of some cartoon villain. Wendy Alec shows great maturity and a firm grip of scripture in this novel, not to mention a great understanding of the character of God.
I do have a question for those who have read this marvellous novel, however: Did you sympathise with Lucifer? There he is, Prince Regent, Yehovah’s Viceroy and adored of Heaven; then he hears about God’s plan to create a new race, a race of men with God’s own genetic code. Mankind would not be Angelic; they would have the ability to replicate and multiply and would supplant the Angelic Host. Angels were not sufficient for God’s need for fellowship.
I think that’s where this book scores for me. Wendy Alec came to it with understanding and respect.
I can’t wait for the second in the Chronicles of Brothers: Messiah next October (2006).
The Fall Of Lucifer is a very worthy novel, well written, exciting, vast in scope and extremely enjoyable. To use a literary cliché, I couldn’t put it down.
Congratulations to Wendy. Long may she continue to enthral a readership that (I believe) will grow and grow.
33 Comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 April 2006
I enjoyed this novel because of its interesting take on Biblical events. Alec's characterisation of the angels was solid and you really feel a deep sense of Lucifer's alienation and pain after his fall and the emotional rift between himself and his brothers.
My qualms with the novel were that although Alec's descriptions are mostly vivid and illustrative throughout, they sometimes bordered on the childlike (e.g. 'ten thousand times ten thousands eons of love'). I also had issue with the way in which the angels are described as co-creators with God (of man) and felt that more intense, longer war scenes could have been included when describing Lucifer's rebellion.
Otherwise, the pacing of the novel was good and the immersive fantasy worlds described show that it was OBVIOUSLY written to be filmed (the story was originally a screenplay). The idea of Lucifer's jealousy of mankind, although not strictly biblical, is interesting and plausible. Alec manages to clearly & imaginately explain the gospel message, whilst weaving a pacy, exciting read.