on 8 September 2016
One of the best books available for students on reference management. The up-to-date coverage includes citing material such as social media, art works and lecture notes that are often not covered by similar works. The concise and clear layout of the book makes it very easy to locate referencing guidelines for almost any given type of material and each type of reference is illustrated with clear examples of both the appropriate in-text citation and the bibliography entry. Common referencing styles are covered such as Harvard, APA, MLA, Vancouver and Chicago (amongst others).There are also nice additional touches such as a discussion on avoiding plagiarism and the reasons for referencing and a glossary which explains terms such as 'op. cit.', 'ibid.' and 'sic.' which I have certainly found can confuse some students. This book is highly suitable for undergraduate students, but A-level and also graduate students who struggle with referencing would benefit.

My one gripe with the text is that it barely mentions the use of Reference Management Software (such as RefWorks, EndNote, Mendeley etc.) to help with referencing. An additional paragraph or two to note the benefits and pitfalls of using this kind of software in a future edition would be good.
on 26 September 2017
Brilliant!

Didn't have a clue where to start with academic writing, but this book has made my life so much easier.
Even helps with referencing for translation :)

Only thing I remember saying was 'Who writes 160 pages of how to referencing?' But you'll soon understand why!
on 11 December 2017
Fantastic resource. Really clear descriptions and examples to help make sure all your references as exactly as they should be. I would recommend this book for anyone who need accurate referencing.
on 28 November 2017
Purchased this in 2012 for a Masters degree, it was indispensable throughout. The book is divided into referencing styles (i.e. Harvard, MLA etc.). Every source you can think of is in the book with a clear example. They probably have a newer edition in 2017, so would recommend it be the first book you buy whether you're studying UG, PG or even PhD.
on 11 February 2011
Harvard referencing starts on page 14 - and is the main body of the book.

Every conceivable version of referencing for the internet, youtube, ebooks is included.
Do you know how to reference a youtube video? No, neither did I.

These days being able to reference a book, is nothing... electronic journals and internet sources are the bulk of reseach for most students.

We need to be able to cite internet sources, so you can get that reference correct, in the text and at the end.

The layout of the book is superb. It details how to reference, working from the information that you have, and what to do, if a website has no date or author on it. And lets be honest, how many websites will quote you the author and date of update?

The book is easy to read, clear, very visual, and lovely paper - wonderful to the touch.

Finally it's in it's 8th edition. How many books do you know in their 8th edition - which on it's own is a statement of how good this book really is.

Wish I'd bought this earlier!!
on 22 July 2017
Bought this in my first year of uni and it has been like my bible the whole time I have been here. I use it with every single assignment to help with my references and always get positive feedback on my references. Helps a lot! Would definitely recommend!
on 10 April 2012
I bought this book as it was recommended by most of the lecturers and library staff when it came to referencing essays. I am a mature student so it has been a long time since I've had to think about referencing and because the book was reasonably priced I went ahead and bought it. This was a wise decision because my using this book to reference in my essays my referencing has been spot on and I have not lost any marks due to poor referencing. I was amazed at how many different referencing styles there are and this book was a real eye-opener. It tells you how to reference everything from images, websites, books, journals, audio and verbal. The list was endless and looking through the book initially I'll admit it was daunting but the book is well laid out and once you get to the relevant bit for what you need to reference the book is easy to follow so I think this is a must-buy if you're losing marks for poor referencing or if you are totally clueless about where to start as I was :)
on 11 February 2018
I originally borrowed this book from my library over a year ago as I was thinking of doing a degree course. In the end I decided to invest in this book, and I’m glad I did. Not only have I used it, but my son has as well. I know I will keep referring to it throughout my course.
on 30 March 2015
Very specific, everything from the Qu'ran to facebook conversations, the instructions are in there. The examples are pretty clear and it's quite easy to navigate too. It breaks up things a lot more as well, in my first few uni assignments I lost marks and got some negative feedback for incorrect referencing but after buying this book, I realised where I was going wrong! I hadn't even known there was a specific way to reference wiki sites before. Definitely would recommend this.
on 8 December 2011
This has been an absolute life saver throughout my degree. My university uses the Harvard system of referencing and this book covers this brilliantly and comprehensively, I haven't struggled to find what I'm looking for once. In all my essays, lecturers have commented on my perfect referencing and I can assure you that is not down to me, but to this fantastic guide.

It's a must buy for any university student not confident with referencing or even you are, it is always useful to have a 'go-to' for double checking! It covers Harvard the most, so double check your system is in here and if it is, make sure there's enough information to warrant buying it.

Best university book I've invested in - a must!