Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 February 2006
Lucy's Monster tells the story of an international female icon who, as a result of a traumatic event, is totally engulfed by the schizophrenia that has been bubbling away under the surface for years - and the effect this incident has on the people around her.
The story's path is sometimes dark; sometimes light - but you won't stop until you reach the end.
Both the reader and the author feature as characters in the book; a unique approach which provides deeper insight into the minds of the tormented central figures. Lucy's Monster is a disquieting read that will leave you wanting more.
on 4 April 2009
I've been wanting to read this book for over 3 years and now that I have, I'm glad I found out about it. Lucy's Monster is a tale that takes you on a rollercoaster of emotions. It's dark, funny, tragic, but most of all gripping, and I couldn't wait to turn the next page to find out what happened next. The way it's been written makes you feel as though you're right there in the thick of it as the story escalates, and it truly was a satisfying book to read.

It's a fantastic debut from Rebecca Lee Royle and I look forward to reading future books from her.
on 15 January 2006
Dark and at times disturbing but definitely worth a read. Not for the faint hearted but this is an excellent novel about a life ruined by drugs and cut short by mental illness.
on 7 October 2011
This novel relates the story of a Hollywood "it" couple- anthony and Lucy (stage name Autumn) and their journey from stellar success to disabling mental illness. On Lucy's part it is the development of a severe acute psychosis, with terrifying and disturbing consequence. For Anthony it is reactive depression in response to the shocking events engulfing his wife.
What raises this book above an interesting tragedy is the narrative style. Rebecca Royle creates this strange prose wherein you actually feel as if you are dipping physically into the story. There are interludes where you freeze the plot and talk to the characters. Given the movie subtext it is a very clever and engaging tool- like it's a play of a real set of events. It may not however be to everyone's tastes- but for my part, once I'd got past the initial "huh?" vibe, I loved it.
The depiction of psychiatric illness is in the main upsetting. The only criticism I would have is that it feeds a little into the stereotype of psychiatric patients becoming extremely violent in response to delusions, which I don't think is as common as we are lead to believe. Having said that, both the scenes of violence invoked by mental illness (all three if you count Jerry's vile drug induced personality disorder) are integral to the plot and aren't trivialised or sensationalised in any way. To my mind the author has judged it just right.
In summary this is an excellent book and the one review on this page that claims differently is way off track in my opinion. Rebecca Royle knows her stuff- and this book is proof of that.
on 11 April 2012
This was a weird book. Incredibly and utterly weird. I enjoyed it in a strange sort of way because the subject matter is not something you can wholeheartedly say you 'enjoy' but I did find the writing style unusual to say the least. It's about a celebrity's descent into madness and it's very compelling and clever. I found the characters interesting and I would recommend this book if you're the sort of person who can handle difficult subject matter.
on 1 August 2007
The energy and vivacity with which Royle writes is matched only by her determination and success as a businesswoman. Unlike certain other popular authors who make millions with trash, Royle believes in providing top-notch fiction for those who would appreciate it. And she's done it all on her own. She's a true literary hero! P.S., I'd buy a limited edition copy with doodles if you can get hold of one. I have one, and their price has sky-rocketed on eBay. Plus, they're fantastic souvenirs, too.
on 23 May 2006
This debut novel from Rebecca Lee Royle is one of the most thought provoking emotional rollercoasters I've ever been on, following the rise and fall of two A list celebrities, you follow Rebecca on a journey, showing the harrowing results of drug abuse and mental illness. I must read for any living breathing soul living in society today!
on 5 March 2007
This book is gripping, intriguing and will blow you away.

You'll be hooked immediately, just like I was and still am. Its the sort of book that you burrow yourself into and get so involved in that when you've finished it you're probably going to start from the very beginning again just to get another fix.

Awesome.
on 5 April 2015
This is an excellent book about a hollywood couple who seem to have it all. Then it all goes horribly wrong with life changing consequences. I couldn't put it down and have read it more than once and my paperback is falling apart. I definitely recommend this book. Amazon should make it available in format!!
on 15 January 2006