on 5 March 2011
Hello,
I'm not a parent and I've no experience of Autism, ADHD, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Schizophrenia, BAD, Eating Disorders or Depression in either myself or my family, but I read this book because I want to find out more about the impact gut dysbiosis has on the brain, and this was explained succinctly and physiologically. I read this after Barry Groves' Trick and Treat, which I thought was excellent and I found a lot of what Campbell-McBride had to say on the dietry regimes applied to those suffering from Candida, of which I am one. Many of the reviews for the unrevised edition are from parents or relations of Autistic children, and if you are in similar circumstances you should read what they say instead of I say. I am interested in becoming a nutritionist and this information is absolutely essential. I work in mental health and as the author rightly states, psychiatry steadfastly refuses to look at gut dysbiosis as the cause of mental health problems. It's funny, as prescription drugs are meant to affect behaviour, but mental health workers don't seem to understand they have to be processed by the gut and liver first. Does it not follow what they have eaten might adversely affect their behaviour? Most everyone knows a child's behaviour changes when they get a sugar rush. In this book you will read why.
66 comments| 198 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 September 2005
Gut and Psychology Syndrome represents an examination of the relationship between what we eat, our gut flora and fauna and our mental state, with particular emphasis on how the first two can lead to learning problems ranging from attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to autism and even schizophrenia. Written by a medical doctor with an autistic child, the book maps out clearly how modern food production practices, medicines and lifestyles have left many children and adults with a potentially devastating imbalance between the intestinal microbes that promote good health and those know to cause illness. The book is written for parents/ carers and sufferers of learning disorders, depression and schizophrenia, which makes it very accessible to the lay reader.
Those involved in infant and child massage will find it useful in two ways. Firstly, from a professional standpoint, it will help teachers understand some of the mechanisms that underpin these disorders and opens up a rich vein of potential research into how massage may enhance results - after all, we know that massage can aid in the digestive process. Secondly, being written by a doctor, it is a useful resource to suggest to parents who find themselves tackling these problems, especially where they are resisting the introduction of drugs to 'modify' their child/children's behaviour.
As I turned the pages, I kept having those 'well, I never' moments. Campbell-McBride links anaemia to poor gut flora and fauna and explains why genetics is not a rational explanation for the explosion of cases of learning disorders currently being seen. She clarifies why wheat and dairy can cause digestive/mental problems BUT also why their removal from the diet is often not sufficient to remedy the situation. In addition, she tackles the fraught issue of the MMR/autism link in a thoroughly professional and scientific way. I could go on and on.....
The above by itself would have made a good read but it does not stop there. Campbell-McBride goes on to elucidate what dietary changes are needed, including a comprehensive good and bad foods list, and gives recipes to help get one started. She also tells us how to select good probiotics and gives appropriate dosages based on age, as well as fronting up to the issue of supplementation generally. The section on good versus bad fats is one of the best expositions of this topic that I have read in a long time, based on research rather than faddy diets.
If I have one criticism of this book, it is that there is no list of suppliers at the end. However, that is also refreshing, as one is left with the feeling that there is no 'hidden agenda' in terms of the probiotics, essential fatty acids etc.
All in all, a riveting read for anyone interested in working with children experiencing learning disorders and an invaluable tool to the parents/carers of those children.
0Comment| 211 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 July 2011
I have ulcerative colitis and no experience of autism but find this book is wonderful and everything in it makes so much sense. It explains how the body works and how problems manifest themselves in easy to understand language. I would recommend this book for anyone who wants to improve their health and especially those with autistic children, immune problems, IBS etc. A revelation!
on 19 May 2014
Instantly it releives some MS symptoms ( Ihad to stop all medications a few years ago as I wasn't tolerant to any of them), my skin is glowing too, when i have been suffering from adult acne and backne since i had MS. As a food scientist myself, I can say that it all make sense. I was talking to my nurse about it, but couldn't convince her.. shame that this book is not being recognised in the westernised medical world.
on 29 August 2010
Without being dramatic this book saved my life. After some very serious adverse affects to antibiotics my gut and gut flora became seriously compromised. I became seriously ill with multiple allergies, fibromyalgia, depression and huge histamine reactions to various things. I looked to many places for answers and orthodox medicine had none. I was lucky enough to finally get treatment from a wonderful professor at kings college hospital in london who gave my gut a rest for a month by putting me on an elemental liquid diet. Then once back on food we implemented GAPS. It is a long journey but one i now enjoy as each step is a real milestone. You do not feel deprived of foods like you worry you will. Natasha teaches you how to understand your body in order to heal it at the pace it can cope with. This book is life changing and it is a way of eating that we should all listen to in order to help our guts function and keep our health. I have used this in conjunction with information from Donna Gates body ecology diet and sally fallon's nourishing traditions, which all compliment each other. I hope others ,like me, find this book as it really is incredible
33 comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 July 2014
After 20 years of IBS, this diet finally worked. Bloating and flatulence completely disappeared within 2 weeks. Unbelievable. But what is more astonishing, is that the terrible nightmares that I have had for 15 years, have virtually disappeared too. I may be wrong but I think that is because less of the toxins in food are leaking through my gut and into my bloodstream?
on 24 November 2004
Throughout the last six years of my personal research and the hard work it entailed trying to find the cause of my son's challenges,rather than just dealing with his symptoms.I now hold the key to the reason that no matter what he learned through the many therapies that i have implemented. This could not guarantee that he would be able to retain the information and be able to retrieve it when he needed to. This book has given both my son and i the gift of the future as unknown as it should be, instead of how we were told it would be. Dr Natasha Campbell Mcbride has at last written the bible for all parents who choose to believe that their child is not a lost cause. Together my son and I now both know that the connection between his challenges and his bowel disorder coincide with each other Even though many other professionals have said otherwise. Before embarking on any other therapy for your Child who displays any form of Autistic Spectrum Disorder, Attention Deficit Disorder, Dyspraxia or Dyslexia and all related disorders. Purchsing this book will help you to decrease any further damage to your child before you begin your journey with him/her to catch up on all the milestones that they have not yet mastered.Through the diet and supplementation that Dr Natasha Campbell Mcbride explains in such an amazing way, your child's processing abilities shold be able to work efficiently enough to enable him/her to push past their diagnosis into their future and give a prognosis that is as positive and encouraging as any other typical Child. After years of searching and implementing every diet that relates to Autism my son is living proof that this book holds all the information that you need.I will be forever gratefull to both Natasha and Peter Campbell Mcbride for not only the knowledge i now possess but for their wisdom encourage and support along the way.
11 comment| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 August 2012
This book has been a total re-education for me, and I feel a little angry that the more official Autistic websites don't advocate it so that it advances into the mainstream. I am the parent of an Autistic young adult - he has 'higher functioning' Autism, so that his symptoms have been easier to cope with than had he had more 'classical' Autistic behaviours. Due to the Autistic 'industry' of professional diagnosticians and other allied professions, you get the idea that Autism is fixed - there's nothing you can realistically do so just live with it! Dr Natasha explains that the benefits are greater when the diet is implemented at a very early stage - however, while I'm not expecting a complete reversal of my 19-yr old son's cognitive deficits, after only three weeks of introducing some of the basic rules, I have already noticed more of a 'switch on' and he more readily engages in conversation, and less in his own 'blinkered' world. Additionally, in respect of myself, I've noticed that I no longer experience the anxiety with my job that I always thought was normal!

To say this book offers hope for parents of Autistic children would be grossly understating it! I'm still in the process of learning about fermentation and intend to fully implement the diet with my son, as much as he's willing to tolerate at 19 years of age, with a recent history of enjoying fast food! It has been mighty helpful to explain to my son that he is not Autistic but that he has symptoms of Autism caused by the toxicity generated by the damage to his gut and gut flora! My son, who has been previously been addicted to all the wrong foods is now motivated to follow the rules and taking the probiotics is the easy part.

The book is necessarily 'wordy' and technical to the average 'Joe' out there, and all I would say is just stick with it, and as you implement the regimen with either your child or yourself, you'll quickly find that it's worth it!
on 25 May 2011
I have been finding this book extremely informative about the imppotance of good bacteria in the gut for general good health and the negative, knock on effect of how processed foods, antibiotics among other things,can seriously damage it and effect the next generations as well as leading to extreme cases such as Autism etc. and mental wellbeing. Well worth reading just to help one look at how best to maintain and improve one's own health and family and friends.
on 20 September 2007
A must read book! The link between the gut and autism is too strong to ignore. We bought this book 5 weeks ago and followed the diet advice for our ASD son who is 4 years old. He has always got by with requesting things with 1-4 words "more orange juice"
He is now starting to speak in whole sentences "mummy can I have more orange juice please" and for the first time ever got on his bike and rode it steering and braking (with stabilizers of course!) which made both myself and my wife cry as before he couldnt even figure out what to do with the pedals!!
We are very pleased with the progress we have made in such a short space of time but obviously still a long way to go. Its hard stopping the naughty foods ie chocolate, cakes etc especially when other children in the family ask for them...luckily their starting to eat fruit and veg instead of craving sweet things now.
This book has made me realise what junk we pile into our kids and ourselves and yet we expect to remain healthy. The chemicals in cleaning solutions and every day products are staggering. With autism cases rising fast, along with mental health problems not all these can be genetic.