on 27 December 2012
Clearly explained, but still I was a little dissappointed in the booklet, I thought there would be a bigger selection if patterns to do
on 11 March 2014
Purchased this as a total beginner to crochet. I wouldn't describe it as clear and concise. It did help me to an extent, but only with me watching You Tube videos alongside it so I could actually watch what the book was trying to describe. As an accompaniment to other aids it's ok, but as a standalone guide to crochet for a novice - I wouldn't recommend.
on 15 November 2014
nope I still can't crochet!
on 26 September 2014
Okay
on 28 November 2007
This little book is absolutely brilliant. The instructions are written simply and are very easy to follow, and the diagrams are crystal clear. At last I can crochet. I know it's pathetic but I really like the little face cloth and soap holder pattern, and I'm making lots for presents. Friends love them. This is good book to start with and it allows you to tackle more complicated projects with confidence
on 18 March 2016
Purchased by mistake. But will use one day
on 15 March 2017
this is an ok book but i still didnt get into
on 12 July 2011
This book is brilliant.

At the beginning.

The introduction is good. The explanation of the hooks is good. The pictures are so good - I found I could do every stitch in no time.
I had no problem with the granny square because it pictured how to do it as well as what a pattern would say and I produced a lovely square.
The instructions for joining in new yarn/coloured yarn are illustrated and clear. The explanation of tension was very clear.
Then for me it fell down with the patterns section.
I didn't find the patterns clear because I don't know how to follow them. I haven't got a clue. I can do the stitches - but I don't know how to do the next row. Where do I put the hook in? How do I start the next row? The brilliant pictures stopped just when they were needed most and I am left not knowing how to read the pattern or the chart or how to get beyond the first row.
eg - how are you supposed to know what the following means - "Chain 3. 1 treble 'in same place' (same place as what?)2 trebles in each of next 11 trebles. Join with a slip stitch to 'top of first 3 chain'. (there is no explanation of what 'top 3 chain' means. I haven't a clue and it doesn't tell you or show you)
Or another pattern starts: Ch2. YO and insert hook into same stitch. (Same stitch as what?)
This is supposed to be for beginners but there is an omission between teaching you the stitches, and the patterns: ie it doesn't show you how they go together.
I have given up.
If each pattern had a picture of each stage, as well as the written instruction and the chart, this would be a perfect book. For me, it falls short as all I can do is a granny square.
Bah.
on 20 June 2008
I have never crocheted before but wanted to give it a go. This is the first book that I've found that answers all of the questions, like what type of yarn do I use. What crochet hook do I use. What is the difference between American and UK termology and the list goes on. This book covers all the areas you need it to and covers crocheting from the very beginning (i.e how to hold the hook, and how to get the first stitch on the hook). I highly recommmend any beginners to get this book.
on 6 February 2010
I had never tried crochet before and wanted to learn. This book is great, it is easy to follow with clear diagrams. Great for learning the basic techniques.