on 28 June 2005
Both my girls are starting at University this September and I have been dreading it. I bought a copy of Jane Bidder's book and it has reassured me, informed me, given me hope, advice and help. It is well written, friendly and accessible - and quite funny. It has put my worst nightmares to rest and made me think the process won't be as bad as I had thought it was going to be. I would recommend this book to all other mothers (and fathers of course) who are patting a little darling on the head this year and sending them out into the big bad world. It is simply quite brilliant.
on 2 September 2011
This book was recommended to me by a friend whose daughter started uni last year. It is quite a useful starting point if you haven't thought about things at all but feels dated now (not surprisingly). I don't think there was much in it that I hadn't already considered or that friends who've been there haven't talked about. The sections on what it feels like from the parent's point of view were reassuring ... it's not just me! We bought another book targetted from the student's perspective which we have found more useful (it's more up to date too). I would suggest you do the same.