VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 February 2010
This is a standard book on non-duality (ie the idea that our sense of separateness from other beings and matter in the universe, our sense of separate consciousness, is an illusion). If you are familiar with the philosophy, there is no need to read this book - there are much more interesting ones out there. If the idea is new to you, this isn't the place to start (IMO). He just waffles on and on and on, and never says anything particularly revelatory. True, he does say at the beginning that nothing will change as a result of reading his book, that there is no particular benefit to be derived - but I didn't think he meant it that literally!
on 4 July 2015
Fabulous, brief, insightful, humorous exposition of advaita. If you like searching for methods and answers that bring you closer to enlightenment, don't read this book, because you may realise that your search is over, or could be, or that it never was.
on 20 May 2017
Excellent
on 18 August 2014
Great little book with a non-duality punch...well worth reading and one for the collection. Thanks Leo
on 28 April 2016
A very useful reminder, thanks
on 29 April 2015
Great book.
on 9 June 2007
"I" will never be the same again. Stop seeking - start living!!!!!!
on 15 February 2009
I read this book three years ago and I must say I did not understand one word of it. I then 'tried' to give it away, but never was able to get shot of it.

I have been on an intense 'spiritual' path since I first read it (with the likes of Eckharte Tolle and Adyashanti), so when I recently 'found' it on my bookshelf again, I thought I would give it another try. This time I 'understood' every word of "Awakening to the Dream", if it is at all possible for the mind to understand such writing. It may be more accurate to say that I understood how every word may lead me deeper into the Self.

So yes, in my experience, this book is totally succinct, totally laid bare, totally surrendered to 'what is' and is ready and waiting to take 'you' through to deeper levels of 'feeling' for the world of non-duality.

I know in future that, whenever I get 'frustrated' on my path, I will remember this book and then understand just how far I have already come on my journey.

So, in conclusion, you have to be 'ready' for it, but then again, there is a part of your deep Self which is always and forever ready to be enlightened if you give it the nudge it needs and yes, this book could well be that nudge your Self wants 'you' to give it.
on 21 August 2009
I've read a few books now on non-duality and this is definitely one of the better ones. Non-duality is a funny subject really. If you find a half decent book on the subject you don't really need any more. They all pretty much say the same thing, i.e. there is no path, there is no goal, enlightenment is (if the word is used at all) here and now ("This is IT"). If you are buying several non-duality books (as I admit I was) you have to ask yourself the question: "What piece of information am I still looking for that hasn't already been given in the book/s I've read so far?"

So anyway, this book is an excellent choice for a clear enunciation of non-duality, and for good measure I would also highly recommend 'Enlightenment for Beginners' by Chuck Hillig, which takes a more light-hearted look at non-duality (hence making it worthwhile in this instance of having more than one book on the subject!)
on 6 October 2005
This book is both unbelievably clear & enormously frustrating. It deals with a subject matter that generally defies intellectual understanding with a radiant clarity that cannot but resonate with the reader, and as such is a rare find indeed.
The rub however, is that unlike many authors in the genre, Leo Hartong doesn't prescribe any practice, or doing for the realisation of your true nature, and that isn't really what we want to hear. Give me a dragon to slay, a cave to live in, or an emotion to suppress & the I (ego) is there.
This book, more that many I've read encourages the reader to drop the story in favour of the truth - and as such, is a rare find indeed.