Customer reviews

on 7 June 2017
An intricate plot with a lot happenning.
on 21 February 2016
A Matter Of Honor is a companion book to the TV series Stargate SG-1, it is book #1 in a two book storyline. It opens with Colonel Jack O'Neill attending a memorial service for members of an SG team who were "killed in action". That is the official line, however the truth is they are trapped after a sun imploded causing a black hole and contracting time. Jack is filled with guilt as his "Nobody gets left behind" policy failed these people.

The storyline then moves to the SGC. Senator Kinsey insists on sending a man from his political team to handle treaty negotiations on planet P4X-481 with the Kinahhi. Distrustful of Kinsey's reasons, Hammond sends SG-1 to escort Ambassador Crawford.

Jack immediately irritates Crawford and old feuds between the military and civilian interference surface, with Crawford determined to seek revenge. There is extremely tight security from the Kinahhi people, they hint at trouble. However they do show advanced technology. Jack and Sam are particularly interested in their anti-gravity systems. Could this be a way to save Boyd and his team from the black hole disaster?

Unfortunately with Crawford in charge of negotiations the anti-gravity technology is not on offer. The team get caught up in the fight with the dissidents and Jack comes home with an injured team and ethical problems. While they were there Daniel found links to Baal on the planet and after Jack's recent capture and torture by Baal they are reluctant to go forward with complex plans which might mean they could gather the materials they need to rescue Boyd.

This book has all the ingredients of one of the top TV SG-1 episodes; Jack's many-sided character and great dialogue, Daniel chasing mythology, Sam after new technology and Teal'c strong and powerful full of faith and keeping everyone in check. There was plenty of trouble caused by Kinsey's man and a great Goa'uld stronghold climax. The storyline will be completed in book #2 "The Cost Of Honor."

This review is based on a free copy of the book given to me by the author.
on 28 August 2005
Wow! reading other reviews it seems you either love it or hate it. I have to say that both are representing extremes that I cannot reconcile my opinions with. I'm going for well above average.
This is a good solid book with a nicely interesting, yet not to convoluted, plot and a bit of very well written action. In fact, once you've got past the early pages of the book it's pretty much all action. The characters are portrayed about as well as I've ever seen them written and it's interesting to get an insight into how they are thinking or feeling aside from the usual outward bravado that we see on the screen. Having said that, I question some of the motivation - particularly Carter's early on, and towards the end (read it and you'll know what I mean), not to mention the whole motivation of the book which drives them to do things that...well, seasoned millitary professionals just would not do under the circumstances presented in this book.
Looking beyond that obvious flaw, there's some great interaction, particularly between Carter and O'Neill - not romantic unless you're rabidly reading it into every little thing they say and do, either because you love it or hate it. Also between Daniel and O'Neill, and even Teal'c is well written for and that's something you rarely find. The point of view chops about a bit, but it seems to be primarily O'Neill, who grinds a few axes and lays a few demons to rest (an oppoturnity that TPTB sadly went on to miss on screen with this particular issue). Another reviewer mentions that the way this was handled was contrary to canon but I didn't get that vibe at all and can't really see how, as it's never been mentioned since, anyone could come to that conclusion.
Definitely worth a read.
on 19 July 2005
This is a wonderful book. The plot is strong, the characters are true, the political intrigue is mysterious and gut twisting (without being dwelled upon too long so as to make it boring), the action is intensely breath-stealing and everyone's emotions are beautifully handled. The author avoids a common pitfall of TV tie-in books by not relying on the reader's interest in reading about their favorite characters as a substitute to developing a truly engrossing plot. The unfolding chain of events dominos quickly from its simple and familiar beginnings - a wish to bring lost comrades home, some stubborn, deceptive aliens and the ever pervasive threat of the political factions aligned against the SGC - into an adventure full of danger and surprises. The action scenes were particularly well written and had me on the edge of my seat repeatedly. I liked the way that every time you thought you knew what was going to happen or that they were finally going to make it into the clear, some new turn would be thrown into the works. Excellent! Everyone's emotions were also very well done and true to character. The way the author got into their heads and showed their interactions and the cause and effect of events was wonderful to read. Some parts I've already read multiple times just because they are so well done. It's like watching the show, only better in some ways because you can get what people are thinking, not just what they say and do.
I highly recommend this book, it is definitively a gripping page-turner!
on 28 March 2011
I have read hundreds of books in my life, and this is the first time I can genuinely say I read the whole book from cover to cover without stopping (except for coffee and lunch). This book is compelling and I am very pleased I bought the second book (The Cost of Honor) at the same time so I did not have to wait to find out how the story would end.
The story line is intricate and delicately woven, combining the politics of Earth against the struggles of SG1 to do the right thing. Senator Kinsey always makes a great villain, and Ambassador Crawford makes the perfect accomplice.
The pacing is inspired and you find yourself wanting to skip ahead to see what happens to one set of characters while at the same time needing to follow the fate of another.
The author has the characters just right, although their constant peril and ever mounting tally of injuries makes you question whether any human being, fictional or otherwise could really keep going at the such a pace without dropping dead from the stress of it all. Unlike the television series Sally Malcolm has no qualms about making her characters suffer to achieve their goals, and no-one gets of lightly in this.
All in all, inspired writing and brilliant story telling.
on 2 November 2007
This is an excellant book and it deals with Jacks experiance with Ba'al and how he hasn't dealt with it even though he acts brave and oblivious.
Do be warned though, if you are a fan of sg-1 books with a hint of comedy, then this might not be the one for you. Jack is funny but with dark humour.
If there are people out there who like jack/sam, like myself, whilst there's only subtle, almost missable moments between them, they are beautiful. Probably the best one is at the end when he's trying to help Sam but I don't want to give anything away.
The strange thing, is i find Daniel funnier than Jakc in this book, which may seem out of character but due to the circumstances of the plot, it works really well and its nice to see.
Jack, whilst the hero, isn't actually the hero. His team are infact his hero and it's touching to see.
Lots of Teal'c in this book and quite a good bit of Hammond. Janet isn't in it much but the moments with her are quite funny. This book has Jack O'neills ultimate foes Kinsey and Ba'al.
Seriously recommend. It's a great read and as i said I couldn't put it down. It came everywhere with me. To my friends houses, in the bath, in the car - Just couldn't put it down.
on 9 September 2007
I have not yet read all of the Stargate novels, but of the ones i have read, this one has become my favourite. The main reason for this is because one of my favourite episodes from the TV show was 'Abyss'. Without giving too much away the novel centres heavily around this episode and is set mid season 7 - my guess as Janet is still alive and Daniel has regained all of his memories.
Jack must relive the horror he faced during his imrpisonment and another team member will become a victim to the same torture that Jack was subject to.
If you really take this in, the novel is very emotional in the way it deal's with Jack's inner turmoil as well as Sam, Daniel & Teal'c's desperation to keep Jack away from the brink of insanity.

Once you get to the end of the novel (or novel's what with it being a two parter... don't try and read the first one on holiday without bringing book 2 with you! I made that mistake!) i think you'll agree that this novel would make an outstanding episode, especially as a tie-in with 'Abyss'!
on 5 September 2005
I have to be honest and say that when I first saw this book I was a bit dubious about getting it having bought other books such as "The Morpheous Factor" and being sorely disappointed. However I decided to give it a chance and boy am I glad I did!
The author 'gets' the characters exactly and portrays them amazingly. I was particularly impressed with the way Jack is shown, as more often than not he is seen as just being sarcastic, but this book highlights his emotional side as well.
I do have to agree with one of the other reviewers though - the book does seem to centre around Jack more than the other characters - however there are obvious reasons why which I am not going to tell you as that would spoil it!
However to give you a picture of the main theme I will tell you that Baal is involved (for those that don't know Baal tortured Jack). I am going to leave the rest up to you!
To sum up this book is well worth the price and I have already pre-ordered the sequel - which shows how good it is!
on 9 December 2005
This is not just good for a TV tie-in, it's a genuinely good book. The standard of writing is excellent, and the compelling storyline weaves together elements from the TV series with an interesting and gripping original plot. The characterisation is very well done, and there's a real sense of drama and consequences as events unfold: it doesn't feel like one of those static tie-in novels where there's no suspense because you just know that everything will be back the way it was by the end. All in all, it's a real page-turner, and manages to be exactly what this kind of book should be: both a story that would have worked on the TV show, and an excellent novel in its own right.
Even if you normally give tie-in novels a miss, this one and its sequel are well worth your time.
on 5 June 2016
Oh my goodness!!! I've not put it down at all (apart from toilet breaks, eating, sleeping and washing) it's honestly the BEST stargate book I've ever read! I definitely recommend it. And if you're a lover of Sam and Jack's relationship like me (if you're not then you are crazy may I add) then there are some really good moments in this book that made me smile but all was appropriate to the characters. It portrays all the characters very realistically. I don't want to spoil anything so I won't go on but seriously if you haven't read it you're missing out! Although dont make the same mistake I did and not buy Cost of honor with it too... I now have to wait two weeks for it to arrive which is driving me up the walls. Its a brilliant book and every second is worthwhile.