on 11 March 2015
Great book, well layed out, I've got the confidence to go give it a try on a few lochs myself to get my skills up. Thanks Gordon.
on 2 June 2009
Sea Kayak: A Manual for Intermediate and Advanced Sea Kayakers
I'm new to Sea Kayaking and wanted to buy only one book on the subject. After buying another book, which was "as much use as a chocolate fire guard" I decided on this one. I was worried because it said for intermediate to advance level paddlers, but the book is great for anyone who had been in a kayak before and understands the basics.

If you need a general sea kayaking book, then look no further. Excellent.
on 29 September 2008
This is the book that drove me to go on the Skyak course he runs and I had a fantastic time in Skye. It is both an enjoyable read as well as a constant reread as skills develop from beginner and above. Well written by someone who knows so much about the sport (he teaches instructors) and yet capable of encouraging beginners.
on 9 February 2014
Only going to buy one book on kayaking? Maybe think again. In this, as in other areas, there is a certain core library written by the masters of their craft (in all senses) which you'd be wise to have read, understood and put to use in the development of your own practice. This is one of them. The voice of experience; opinionated enough for the idiosyncratic character of the man to surge right through it, yet objective enough to be reliable and authoritative. Water and rock, nicely balanced. In the Zen tradition it is said, "If you wish to climb the mountain, then speak with those who go back and forth upon it every day." Same with the ocean.
on 11 August 2010
Having just started sea kayaking, I wanted a book which would not only give me tips to enjoy my kayaking now, but would also be a reference as my experience grows. To this end, the book is an admirable work. it is packed full of useful information, and the photography is wonderful, and inspiring. Recommended.
on 8 November 2009
Can't fault this book at all and I strongly recommend getting the DVD that goes with it. The combination of detailed text and video coaching really delivers and helps to fill the gaps between coaching sessions.
on 14 August 2013
The book to be honest promised more than I found. Far too much of the book spent in the first half on fairly basic technique, the second half was better with detail on weather and expedition planning however it never really gets into the meat of what adventure sea kayaking is all about. Skims over important stuff and then veers off in historical aspects which are really of little benefit eg) skin covered wood frame kayaks ?? how many people are having those at the ready?? Overall it was sound, nothing more than that, it could and should have provided so much more particularly for the money.
on 31 August 2011
I have returned to sea kayaking after a 30 year break, some "sit on top" experience over the past 5 years, but now back to the real thing. Beside the dramatic improvement and choice of kayaks (I have just bought a Valley Etain) my skills were rusty. Gordon's book and DVD are a "must have" for anyone interested in sea kayaking.The quality of the book, the photographs and the DVD are excellent. Clear, concise and informative. I read it cover to cover and now find I refer back to it as necessary. In particular I find the DVD very useful when it comes to learning skills and strokes. One day I may be able to do a Bow Rudder or Cross Bow Rudder, Gordon makes every look effortless. The only point I would make is that there is little guidance on clothing. There are a lot of options and I would appreciate some guidance in this area. I understand that many authors are reluctant to give product endorsements but for many people the experience and knowledge of the experts is extremely helpful. Hopefully going to Skyak in September.
on 14 May 2010
Well, simply Gordon Brown is Gordon Brown. A complete manual, very clear, well written and of a nice editing. It is definitely worth having it. It does not include roll tecniques though, that's a matter of yours, and anyway there is a lot of nice stuff out there to read and look (I think leraning to roo should be done with a coach and thru studying DVDs).
on 30 July 2011
Beautifully produced with outstanding photographs.

Gordon has an excellent pedigree and this is the clearest and most informative of several similarly titled books (many of which I already own).

The book presents an introduction to the subject, but then moves rapidly to cover intermediate level topics (think approx 3star level), including advanced boat handling, medical issues, weather, navigation and kit for expeditions. In all, a very complete coverage of the topic.

Others have said it, but to reiterate - buy the DVD that accompanies this book, it is superbly produced and adds a great deal.