on 5 December 2016
I've picked my sticks for the first time in 35 years and this book is a god send. I has lost most of the sticking skills and rhythms but with under the gentle guidance of Steve they are coming back much more quickly than I could possibly have hoped.

I would thoroughly recommend this book to anybody who is either taking up drumming for the first time or a returner to get them started.

I am looking forward already to getting Steve's follow up book, which at the rate I am progressing will not be too long.
on 21 December 2010
After dabbling in drums as a teen (over 20 years ago) and playing air drums to heavy metal since then, I decided to take the plunge and ket my own kit. While I was able to drum away contentedly, I quickly realised that I was going to have to put some hours in to get some polish to my technique and bought this book to provide some structure to that practice. I also liked the idea of starting right from the beginning as while I may be able to cope easily with the basics of drumming, I wanted to check whether I had any bad habits that needed to be corrected.

When I first looked at the book I felt quite dismayed as it looked like 40 pages of music scores, but I sat down with the book and the CD and worked through the first section and suddenly realised how the whole thing was going to work. In isolation, the book would be difficult to work with but with the CD, you hear the author talking out instructions and playing along with the beats. It facilitates practice as you can work on one page, step by step, and build your technique as you listen again and again to the tracks. The drum notation teaching builds up from basics too, so while I was intimidated by it initially I'm starting to really enjoy the fact that I am learning drum notation as well as practical technique.

The great thing about this is that you are effectively getting drum lessons which you can work through in your own time, as fast or slow as you like.

I highly recommend this.
on 23 November 2016
This is The Really Easy Way To Play Drums, I bought this for a 14 year old young lady (Emily), I was so impressed that I decided to give her an early Christmas present so that she can start learning properly now. Emily plays drums with the school band. She is delighted, now adding the DVD to her Christmas list. Move over Ringo you have competition.
on 22 August 2015
No music, where there should be examples there are just little boxes that do nothing and so you can't try out what you are suppose to.
Don't know what the real book with CD is like, but go for that one don't waste your money! Hey Amazon, can I have my money refunded?

Addendum... Works ok on my iMac, why it doesn't work on ipad have no idea.

Have purchased similar books for kindle that have links to what would have been on the CD, why this is missing on this I don't know, but consider it to be a bad decision.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 December 2017
I'm a drummer myself and bought this for my nephew, who's a complete beginner so he needed something he could follow easily, and this certainly fills the bill. Steve got this to me in plenty of time for Christmas, and was nice enough to even include a personalised note, which I thought was a very nice touch.

I've been playing drums for a while and found this book very useful myself, so I've ordered a copy as well. Highly recommended for a beginner but also useful for even more advanced players, I think.
on 4 September 2017
Firstly I would like to evoke how helpful and friendly Mr Laffy is when you email. He is quick to respond and has a genuine desire to help you. I'm a highly experienced drummer novice and it took all of 10 minutes to understand drum notation and signature thanks wholly to Mr Laffy's books/dvds. He makes learning so easy, enjoyable, interesting and fun and as a learner drummer I would recommend Mr Laffy's books/dvds to the beginner and the more advance player.
on 12 April 2017
Bought for my grandaughter.
on 4 March 2016
Good basic lessons although his voice is quite annoying on the MP3s! I have only just started to learn the drums so don't have much to compare it to, but seems to be working!
on 7 April 2005
Great book for the first time drummer, it is very basic at the beginning but covers some good fills and grooves. I found it very well explained and was great for me to go back over the old stuff and correct or re-affirm what I have learnt so far. If you have just received your first drum kit THIS is the only book I would buy, when you can play it through then move on, if you have reached intermediate stage it's a pretty good book to go back over before moving onward.
on 30 August 2017