Customer reviews

Smalltalk Bytes Book
Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 July 2004
It is an excellent book for anyone who wants to know about Object Oriented and reference purposes! rather then reading a long wanding book this book has a quick look on topics - there is an explanation and examples - What is an Object/Object Orientation, how to implement methods! what is method and string or Bytes etc. It gives you example of various topics and what I liked about is that a begginer could pick-up on the Object Oriented language and apply this to other Object-Oriented languages - such as Java etc and it is very simple. Without this book I would not have understood what Object Oriented computer languages were and would not have gone any further then Smalltalk! It helped me to carry on with Java. If you are like me and had given up on Java then buy this book and learn the concepts - although java is different from smalltalk the concepts such as Object,methods etc are similar. Overall I would rate this book as A+++++ give it 10 out of 10.

I have not come across a book that can also be used as a reference too.
on 20 August 2008
I would recommend this "glossary format" book to anyone who needs or wants to learn the Smalltalk programming language. I would even go so far as to say it is an essential accompaniment to any first-time study and practice of the language. It explains the signs, words and concepts used in the language. There is no table of contents in the book that I bought, but the contents are in alphabetical order, so the words, signs, etc. are easily found by paging. As described on the Amazon web page, almost all of the book's content is applicable to any Smalltalk environment.