Customer reviews

on 17 October 2006
For someone who enjoys the pleasures of French wine but who chooses normally by dipping my hand into a big box and just pulling out anything, then this book is a godsend. Easy to use, very informative and best of all pocket sized (so can be carried around the supermarket).

I can now faithfully say that the quality of wine that I drink has improved, the cost has not dramatically risen but the hangovers are a hell of a lot better!!

Go on and buy a copy and you will not be disapointed - unless you hate French wine!!
on 10 October 2013
Living in France but not really knowing how the French wine labels worked this book has been great. I have really enjoyed looking up the wines I have at home and how each should taste. My only complaints are that, having been published several years ago, the recommended vintages are a bit out of date now (I'm sure you can still get some of them, but not very easily or affordably anymore) and also, while the main wine regions were very well covered, not all the grapes/varieties are listed for some smaller regions.
on 13 December 2011
I teach wine in my spare time and needed a bit more of an understanding of the world of french wine. This book was a great into and helped me pick up some useful facts without being too detailed and complex. A great overview.
on 11 June 2013
I must admit when I received this book to give for a present I was very reluctant to let it go. It gave me exactly what I wanted as I had looked at loads of other books before choosing this one
on 22 November 2013
I like this handy informative pocket sized book. everytime we trip off to the supermarket (I live in France, so it's not Sainsburys) I invariabley forget to take it but one day I will.
on 26 October 2006
It's true, my mother's favourite phrase is 'I love Merlot' - so how does she know what to get on her visits to France - or Sainsbury's?

This book is the answer. Small enough to fit in your pocket, it has all the essential information, clearly set out so you can sneakily look things up, in a restaurant if necessary. It turns out that mum really needs to buy is a bottle of Chateau Petrus Pomerol, but the good news is that Cracking French Wine even alerts you to the kind of prices to expect for different appellations, so mum can start saving up! I've even had my friend in Paris ask me to buy her a copy...
on 1 January 2007
This is a very simple, easy to follow wine guide paryicularly useful for people little knowledge of wine. It is in a very handy size that you can take with you to your Odd Bins, etc. The Best thing I found of this guide is the 'ALSO TRY' suggestions - you know what you like but may be it is too pricey, out of stock, or you just want to try something else that it may be slightly different.

A well recommended small little guide.
on 14 November 2006
At last something small, perfectly formed and just what us girls have been waiting for! Not only has this been amazingly useful while out on the town, it has also been invauable when finishing off the shopping list for dinner parties. Easy to follow, small enough to fit in a handbag and not even vaguely condecending, this is a MUST for all our stockings this Christmas.
on 18 October 2006
This book is a great way of finding new wines that you should try. Before using the book, I went into a supermarket and bought according to which label looked good. Now having decided I like one variety of grape, I have been able to find other grapes and wines which I wouldn't have dared try before.

Altogether really useful - well done.
on 1 December 2006
This pocket-sized book unravels the complexities of French wine - bringing clarity even to a non-wine buff like me! A little gem.