on 22 February 2005
This is a very funny,entertaining and factual book for would be brides. It's Bridget Jones meets her organised,creative & informative alter ego to ensure the day of her life isn't swept along by people who will (a) take all your money and (b) dictate your day.
For thinking individuals who want to take the reins and make their mark on that special day, and resent the 'Conveyer Belt Package'.Full of terrific tips to personalise,stylise and get value for money.
on 30 May 2006
I searched the shops for a book like this for a while before stumbling upon this one on Amazon.....This is fantastic and just what I was looking for. If you're getting married soon or (like me) not for another year it is a must. It's funny, heart warming, thought provoking and above all a good read. It gave me inspiration for things that I could have at my wedding as well as confirming ideas that I already have.

Totally recommend this!
on 15 April 2005
I just wanted to say how wonderful this book is. I saw an extract in the newspaper and I have just finished the last few pages. It isn't the usual boring wedding guide, it was just like reading a novel and quite amusing! I was fascinated to see that it is actually possible to see the wedding pictures on Laura's website [...] We are getting married in December of this year and I've just gone into panic mode as not yet planned anything apart from the venue. We have a budget of £3000 and I am hoping to stay within it!!! (Ha, ha).
Reading this book was both reassuring and inspirational and after looking at pictures of Laura's cake she deserves a gold medal.
on 14 January 2010
If you are planning a wedding on a budget, do NOT buy this book! You could achieve so much more with a few Google searches in the time it takes to read.

I think it is self-published by a wannabe writer who fancies herself as a Bridget Jones type but fails in this miserably. If you are a writer it might be useful as a 'how not to' guide.

I bought this as I'm planning a wedding on a budget, but there are no tips in here that anyone with half a brain wouldn't already know. I actually learned nothing, and now am annoyed that I kept on going to the end as other reviews suggested there were such amazing revelations. Save yourself the bother: there aren't!

I've never written a book review on Amazon before but feel driven to do this to warn off anyone from wasting their money! I would have given 0 stars but it doesn't allow, but really it doesn't deserve a single one.
on 7 February 2005
In the 6 months since I've been planning our wedding I've looked atloads of books but this is the one to buy. It has masses of info on everything from how to write a thank you note to a full schedule to organise everyone at your service. Yet the best bits are the ups and downs of Lauras diary with all the stress, overload and highs. A great read for anyone.
on 28 April 2005
I ordered my copy from Amazon after reading about it in my wedding mag. Anyway it arrived yesterday, and I have just finished reading it now!!!
I myself am a bride to be, but have 2 years to plan at the moment, and have already turned into an obsessed bride trawling through websites, ebay and magazines. I just wanted to say the book was great and has given me some useful information, tips and ideas to use within my planning and budgeting.
It's also inspired me to write down my wedding details, that way I'll have a lovely journal to look back on in years to come, and hopefully it'll bring back good memories, as well as the bad ones of the stress I am sure, but at the moment I am just loving every minute of it.
on 26 July 2009
I am really surprised by all the good reviews of this book. Granted, it was very easy to read, but there were only a few useful tips surrounded by what can only be described as a meandering ramble about how to completely ignore the budget you have set for yourself and break the bank. I got half way through, skipped to the end to see the actual budget - £8,500 as opposed to the £2,500 she was aiming for - then binned it.
on 30 April 2005
What an exceptional book - I too am a bride to be and found this book absolutely fantastic, I am not getting married till next year - isn't it exciting to be getting married - anyway back to the book - I am sure I will read it again and again. I could relate to it and found it really funny in places and got all excited for her at the end. A truly inspirational read that has given me hope that it's not all stress, but also that good planning and organisation along with relaxation being the keys to having the day you want.
I highly recommend this book to all brides to be....
on 3 March 2005
I loved this book - and this is what I have emailed Laura with a few days ago:
Last night I finished your book! Thank you!!!!! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Although I am not getting married until 5th August 2006, it has been a great help already. People had started panicking me about booking things up now, but thanks to your book I now have a "plan" underway, and that has made me feel better already!
I have just been on your website, and the hall looked absolutely fantastic, you cannot believe that it was a village hall, it looked so beautiful when it was decorated. And your dress was just how I imagined from your descriptions!
I have tackled one wedding fayre the other week, I thought my arms were going to fall off with the amount of magazines and leaflets! But there were some useful contacts! We are off to view cars tonight.... so many choices..... I think I might walk!
Thank you once again for all your helpful tips, and letting everyone into your special day! It sounds such a happy day! And congratulations to you and Laurence!
on 25 February 2010
I am getting married as a student and was therefore keen to learn of any money saving tips that other brides may have picked up. This book has just served to make me blow the budget because if cost cutting is as boring as this lady makes it sound, I don't want to bother. More seriously though, she doesn't give any tips per se, just states the obvious and gives a rather dull account of going to places like Debenhams.