on 14 February 2003
Strangest Pubs in Britain is a rollercoaster ride of amazement. Find out where you must leave your shoe as a deposit for a drink . . . snail racing and wormcharming . . . the amazing crooked house where your glass slides UP the table . . . a canal running through a bar . . . a pub shaped and constructed like a pack of cards . . . a door layered with human skin . . . mummified hands and amazing collections . . . pints mysteriously hanging unaided from a wall . . . skittles played with a block of cheese . . . a living pub sign . . . drinks served by robots . . . pubs with no electricity, no bar and no water . . . the highest, smallest, oldest and most remote pubs . . . the longest, tallest and strangest bars . . . plus many more of the weirdest, wackiest pubs there are. Read all about them. Find out where to see them . . . only in the Strangest Pubs in Britain.
on 2 July 2003
I'm not one for going overboard on praise or even thinking about praising someone, but this book is fantastic!!!!! I never holiday abroad - only in the UK, and now my holidays will never be the same again because I have masses of weird and interesting pubs to explore all over the country.
My favourite is the biggest floating pub although the toe-wrestling and crooked house are equally good. It's unbelievable how many there are, and I only knew about a few of them.
This is certainly the best book I've read for at least 10 years and I'm pretty much a 'book-boff'. I'm looking forward to the strangest underground book which is the next in the series. Have already placed my order. Congratulations to the publishers.
on 21 March 2003
I must say that I was only aware of 2 of the pubs in Strangest Pubs in Britain - and there are about 200!
It is great bedtime reading and being a long distance traveller and courier, I will certainly be calling in at a few of them in the future.
Many of the pubs in the book are truly unbelievable and the colour pictures are great.
I cant wait to visit the pub where you must put your shoe in a basket - which is then hoisted up to the ceiling - as a deposit for a drink.
I wish them all the best with the book and will certainly be buying the next in the series on underground places.
on 13 December 2013
A mildly entertaining volume, but do not expect a scholarly approach and be prepared to be irritated by a combination of bizarre syntax, grammatical errors, and 'humour' that doesn't really work.
on 9 January 2013
All the family have been dipping into this book. Very entertaining, can't wait to go to some of these pubs. We have already been to a couple.
on 4 August 2008
This isn't a bad book although the pictures are pretty dire. The problem is it could be so much better, a weeks worth of effort of re visiting these pubs with a decent photographer (I am available) and updating it with a few more entries, and this would be a cracking book.