on 8 May 2017
Im not a student but a veggie who cant find things to cook. Normally I look at a cookery book & don't end up making any, they always seems to contain so many fussy ingredients that i`ll probably only use once! I've made the lentil & tomato soup ( I already had all they ingredients) I found my packet of lentils said they needed to cook longer than the book said so I kept to the packet, but it very easy & very tasty. I have made a few of the other recipes I managed to eat them but wouldn't make again. It was however what got me inspired to try to look hard in other books even if I only find 1 or 2 recipes in each book. Maybe I need to have a closer look to see if there are any others in this book worth trying.
review image
on 3 July 2017
I love this book, would recommend for anyone who's either trying to eat better, or cook on a budget or to find quick healthy meals. It has everything in it from how to make a salad dressing to one pot meals to finer cooking. So is handy for a total beginner or someone just looking for some inspiration. It has helped me so much to cook decent meals for my vegetarian son
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 16 January 2018
Bought this for my son for uni, really great recipe book! Full of useful info and very practical as it even lists cost per portion !
The suggested ingredients are easy to source and the recipes range from really simple to entertaining friends. Really great book!!
There are also lots of helpful sections with basic info for a beginner cook on a budget. Brilliant!
VINE VOICEon 5 September 2017
Great present for a student - I bought it for my nephew. Lots of simple recipes - clearly explained and with good photos. I like the fact that there are lots of basic instructions too, like how to boil an egg or cook pasta, which I'm pretty sure my nephew will find useful. I'm not sure if he would ever attempt some of the more impressive meals but maybe he will be inspired to eat more than beans on toast or takeaways!
on 14 March 2016
Love this book, it starts from the ground up and puts the right techniques up front and central. The recipes are all well documented and reference the techniques to ensure a great outcome each time. If you only buy one vegetarian cook book, buy this one, we are all students of life!
on 21 December 2017
I bought this as a gift for a vegetarian friend of my son who has just headed off to uni. Had a quick flick through and really liked what I saw. Lots of ideas here and recipes come with well photographed images. Am tempted to buy myself a copy as despite non of us being vegetarian I saw plenty that took my fancy.
on 23 October 2017
Bought for daughter as she started university and cooking for the first time on her own. Wow, really impressed with book. Non of the recipes require any fancy equipment nor do they need weighing out using scales. Recipes are easy to follow, varied and nutritious. Love that it puts shopping lists together for a weeks worth of menus. Tempted to get one for myself
on 19 September 2017
Love the premise and some tasty, cheap, fast recipes contained within BUT....why do people seem to assume that vegetarians like to eat lots of milk, cheese and eggs? I'd say that 90% of the recipes call for dairy products - cheddar cheese most popular it seems. It's the same when eating out. Cheese galore on the veggie menu. Why?
on 27 September 2017
We bought a copy of this in a charity shop for our son at uni. There was only one problem. We wanted a copy as well!! This is the reason for this purchase. 5 stars? not enough, this is a really great cookbook for anyone. Buy it everyone, you must!!
on 28 September 2017
So quick and easy, with different recipe ideas so you don't get stuck eating the only thing you know how to cook! No complex ingredients and you can often double the recipes to make more for lunch the next day. They're pretty much all really cheap too which is great as I am a student in London, so need to save money where I can!