Customer reviews

on 27 June 2012
I can't rate this book highly enough - I'd give it seven stars if I could :)

There are lots of fascinating themes covered here; the cycle of the year, ancestral knowledge, sexual power and fertility, etc, and it's all put in magical perspective. This is a good foundational book for anyone who's interested in pagan or occult traditions, and wants to know more about the seasons and their effect on the human psyche. I can see this as a great basis for anyone wanting to do seasonal `workings' of their own :)

Amado Crowley's style is unusual for sure. In fact, I think his occult system might be unique (and yet attuned to all of the valid spiritual traditions of the past). Unlike a lot of the `new-age' stuff I've read, Amado doesn't really tell you what to think, and he doesn't give the reader convenient or flattering `answers' just to make them feel good about themselves.

Occasionally, I felt like my very basic ideas about `the otherworld' were changing while reading this book. He sort of hints at the Truth, leading you to a point where you can start to weave together everything into a coherent whole. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, the fact that he doesn't fob us off with nicey-nicey claptrap suggests that he is a genuine teacher, not someone who's out to make a quick buck.

This book won't give you answers, but it will empower you to grasp the Mysteries for yourself. That's what occultism is all about after all!
3 people found this helpful