Customer reviews

Findings
Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 April 2013
Nature writing of this calibre is up with the best literature. I will return to these beautiful essays. You sense that you are there. Down to earth but spiritual in a positive way. Not preachy, this is a way of converting sceptics to environmentalism.
on 20 November 2012
I bought 'Findings' just because the description looked interesting and as it was A Daily Deal',no problem if I did not like it.
What I received was not a book of poetry, but a collection of several essays. Any way, I decided to start reading it. Soon I realised the intensity of observation of the writer not to mention the many ways she viewed the subject she was writing about.
Surely these essays would provide the inspiration for many poems. (Perhaps they already have) What an insight into the workings of thew mind of the author.
It certainly pays to keep an eye on 'The Daily Deal'
on 5 December 2008
a wonderful book....you can easily see that she is , at heart, a poet.
beautiful , evocative prose. A Must-read!
on 28 March 2012
I was a little disappointed by Findings, having bought it on the strength of prior reviews. It's written in delicate, straightforward prose, with occasional moments of beautiful observation, and with some laugh-out-loud descriptions too, which were a real pleasure to read. Findings is a collection of essays about the natural world, our common day-to-day lives, and our strange juxtaposition with nature. There's nothing new in what Jamie says - these aren't philosophical essays or encouragements to deeper thought about nature. Jamie's central point is to encourage us to pay closer to attention to nature, and she persuades by doing so herself, and writing with as close an eye as she can. By far the strongest essay in the collection actually takes place indoors, when she visits the museum collection of a hospital. It's a strange, intoxicating moment, which creates a powerful atmosphere. However, the essays seem like a series of extended pieces of journalism. She uses the same technique to frame each of them, so that after a while, rather than reading like an unfolding perspective on nature, they become a bit predictable.
on 1 April 2015
Each chapter takes one somewhere different, lead by this most engaging of Scotland's younger writers. Her sensitive perceptivity will make you think again about places you may already know, and also lead you to ones you did not realise were there. At the same time you have to admire her warm, adventurous and imaginative spirit, that never looses its grip on reality.
on 9 November 2012
Her prose is as near perfection as any writer I've ever read. The Guardian reviewer said he would "kill to be able to write as well as this". I haven't killed anyone but share the sense of awe at her skill. It isn't erudite knotted crap, it is sharp as a knife, light as a feather and accurate beyond belief.
on 16 June 2017
Found it a quite interesting reading.
on 3 January 2015
A poetic observation. Although I prefer novels, this was so well written as to be compelling. The imagery was original and thought provoking and made one want to observe life more closely and not just take one's surroundings for granted.
on 16 December 2013
A chance find that provided a lyrical, rewarding journey that linked the detail observed at home and afar in Scotland to more philosophical musings; a great read and I will be seeking out more work by Kathleen Jamie.
on 18 December 2012
As a recent retiree from England but with a 'Fifer' father and a base in Perth I am enjoying exploring the area very much more having read Kathleen's beautifully written and expressed book. I have taken to carrying binoculars with me and will think of her as I look towards where she must live from my much loved vantage of Kinnoul Tower. If you read this review,Kathleen, I do hope that in due course you will come to know what tremendous joy can be found in gratitude to our loving God who I believe created all the beauty around us. In the meantime thank you for opening my eyes even further.