on 3 March 2003
Jean Sutton is a New Zealand midwife of long standing. This book is directed at fellow midwives, but this does not stop it being a very worthwhile read for any mum-to-be.
Working from her years of experience, Jean describes the concept of Optimal Fetal Positioning. This relates to the position that the baby is lying in the uterus. She explains how and why babies with their spine pressing against the mother's left front are more liekly to be born quickly, easily and less painfully. This is backed up with clear down-to-earth explanations. She then explores ways in which the mother can encourage the baby into this position in the weeks before birth: for instance by sitting forward, instead of slumping back in an armchair, and which position to sleep in.
I was very sceptical when I was lent this book, but soon was convinced by Jean's straightforward reasoning. I adopted her practices and my baby was born after an easy labour of just four hours total. I would certainly follow her advice for my next baby!
on 17 June 2011
Fantastic book. I read it while pregnant with my first baby. I'm not a midwife but i'm a nurse, however the book is still very well written for a non-medical person to understand the concepts. I followed much of what was advised throughout my pregnancy and went on to have such an easy birth, 3h45m total and only 11 minutes of pushing! I loved every second of giving birth, this book made me feel so in control and i felt that if there were problems then I could help myself and help my midwife to help me. I couldn't recommend a more fantastic way of readying yourself and your baby for an amazing birth!