on 21 September 2009
Libby Peter writes a comprehensive and well organised manual covering all aspects of the Single Pitch Award syllabus and more.

The book includes almost all you will need to know about instructing and climbing an a single pitch environment and some detailed instruction on multi-pitch climbing that goes beyond the single pitch award remit but is very useful to personal climbing.

I should point out that knowing this text from cover to cover does not instantly make you a competent climber or instructor, there is no substitute for first hand experience and this text should be used in conjunction with practice whilst taking reasonable steps to ensure personal safety and the safety of others.
on 11 July 2009
Excellent service and excellent book giving all the info you could possibly need for basic climbing balanced with lots of pics and background stuff.
on 11 January 2010
This is probably the best 'how to' guide for rock climbing and instructing that i have seen. The diagrams are very clear and easy to understand. Libby Peters is very good at communicating her experience at the right level.

The one criticism I have is that if you are using the guide to prepare for the SPA or MIA schemes then it is not vety clear which parts are relevant for each award.

Apart from that it is a very well put together guide which any climber would do well to read.
on 30 May 2010
This is a good, simple, well illustrated guide (not sure about the belay set-up on the front cover though) it takes you through pretty much everything you need to know if you are undertaking the SPA (Single Pitch Award) training syllabus. I recommend this to anyone planning to go for their SPA or just wanting to climb safely (although it doesn't replace good instruction - felt I had to say that.)
on 15 March 2011
I have recently started rock climbing and this book was recommended as an essential. It is easy to read with good photographs and good knot tying diagrams. It is great for absolute beginners and the experienced. A no nonsense approach from Libby Peter.
on 8 September 2009
I am a climber whose climbed indoors for a couple years and done a few outdoor climbs and looking to expand my experience and develop my knowledge base. This book just didn't live up to my expectations and I regret that I didn't go for the other book I saw in a climbing store, as it is out of stock.

This book reminds me of a climbing lesson I took, which also dissapointed me. The instructor seemed to know what to do, but was unable to answer many of my questions and couldn't explain why things were done in a particular way. This book is a lot like that. I think it relies on the idea that the reader is very experienced or will have another very experienced person to answer these questions. Discussions with slightly more and less experienced climbers suggest I am not alone in my opinion.

Here are a few examples of what is just wrong with this book; The description of "Toe Hooks" says "Toe hooks around edges can be used as a type of layaway enabling the climber to make longer reaches ..." or a "Dropped knee is also commonly used on overhanging ground to faciliate [a] high reach" This lack of explanation is the same at more advanced levels as well, but these were easy examples. "Quick draws may be from 10-30cm long depending on the nature of the climbing", so any suggestions for what to use where? I got one buddy who thinks short on this climb, another who says long and both are experienced and well convinced they are correct. I am pretty sure many of the listed "climbing calls" are wrong. First the "leader" is "climbing", then the "second" is "safe" tying off at the top? This really makes me worry about what else in this book might have passed the editors.

Now, I could go and look on the internet for more information on each topic, but am sorely dissapointed that this book just doesn't bother. Why mention it if it isn't going to be explained. The reason is that after reading this, the instructor will show the move, and the text is the kind of thing that can be used in a multiple choice quiz.

The book mentions everything, explains very little and after having it for two weeks find myself more frustrated. The only thing is does give me is a few new terms I can go look up on google for some proper explanation. Sorry, but it is just a very pretty book where someone just wrote a good outline, then filled in each title with a random blurb. It covers so much and says so little.
11 Comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 November 2010
This is a great all round book which for a beginner was a real god send! its very clear and gets the point across very well. The BEST book i could find on the subject and a guide used for taking British climbing Qualifications. a must buy
on 19 September 2009
This book is full of great advice and techniques for all climbers but especially for people doing their SPA. Good introduction and history and brilliant clear diagrams and explanations. Well worth buying.
on 26 November 2015
This is just the book to have if you are into climbing in the UK.
I advise anyone interested in climbing to consider buying this book.
Arrived promptly after order in strong suitable packaging.
on 31 May 2011
A great book designed to go with SPA training but packed with all the information you'll ever need presented in a very clear and accessable way and therefore worthwhile for any rock climber's.