on 24 February 2012
A fine piece of work this. Gives good information and gives it clearly. I'm not intending to be a mountain leader but I do like to walk in the high places of the UK, sometimes people come with me but they tend to be of a similar ability. There must be thousands of people just like me out there doing this. This book gives you the extra bits of information to help you avoid problems and to help you out of them when they happen. If you're browsing the shelves for this kind of help then you are in my kind of position as well. I say buy the darned thing. The information you want is in here. If you find it isn't in here well then you're a little closer to the climbing shoe than I am. It's a good book. Apparently it's the Mountain Leader's Bible, of sorts.
This is a 5* recommendation
on 26 November 2015
This is just the book to have if you are into hillwalking in the UK hills.
I advise anyone interested in hillwalking to consider buying this book.
Arrived promptly after order in strong suitable packaging.
on 23 May 2013
Good book on the whole, fluffed out a bit in certain chapters with info on the environment, rights of way and stuff you will already know about if you are a regular and serious walker - but the technical info is useful.
on 24 May 2010
This book is a very well written book with clear instructions and guidance. Is used by myself and all my colleagues as the 'go to" reference book for navigation and walking practises. Good for anyone who spends time walking.
on 5 May 2010
I bought this book on recommendation whilst completing my BELA qualification and I am glad I did.
Full of tips and information to enforce the teaching on the course, techniques are fully explained and illustrated.
Particularly useful where the sections on navigational techniques, following bearings and maps. Also interesting where the chapters on clothing and equipment, weather, party management and dealing with hazards. Written by an expert with help from people working in the industry this book is a source of reference for anybody studying for a qualification or just to increase their knowledge to allow them to walk safely in the hills.
on 30 April 2012
As with the SPA official handbook this book is a must even for the experienced outdoor enthusiast as all of us could do with a refresh from time to time and having it also inspires me anyway to carry on teaching the techniques to the young and old alike new to the mountains. Nice touch to see world class PyB have their stamp on it, great work.
on 6 November 2010
Being and avid hillwalker i think this book is fantastic, it really explains things in a clear cut fashion. it encompasses more aspects than the average joe would think about and is worth a read for beginners and seasoned vets of the outdoors too :)
on 27 January 2011
this book is an extremely useful tool for increasing your knowledge on hillwalking. It also has sections on what to look for when buying new kit and gives the pros and cons for different fabrics. Designed for mountain leaders and walking group leader, I would say it should be used by anyone interested in progressing their skills in the outdoors as it is extremely well put together and has good diagrams on different techniques that help to further teach the required skills. I am in the process of doing my summer mountain leader award but would reccomend it to all hillwalkers.
on 14 December 2010
Simply put this book provides a no nonsense, well structure look at the fundimentals for safe and successful Hill walking. The diagrams that support the text enhance the passage of information. Highly recommended.
on 2 April 2014
Met all requirements for hill and mountain walking…lots
of excellent advice and tips for novice and experienced
hikers…..used by me (70yr) and the grandchildren (11yr upwards)